Shipping of Brown Wax Cylinders

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonofolks
Victor I

Shipping of Brown Wax Cylinders

Post by Phonofolks »

I have an opportunity to purchase about 20 Brown Wax cylinders. However, these cylinders are located on the West Coast and I reside here on the East Coast. Is there packing and shipping methods the forum can recommend to have these cylinders shipped to me safely? Brown Wax cylinders are very delicate and I am concerned that the cylinders would end up in pieces by the time they make it to my house. Any suggestion are appreciated. Thank you.

Rick

Victor VI

Re: Shipping of Brown Wax Cylinders

Post by 52089 »

Short answer: double box with quality packing materials.

Longer answer: see here:
http://tinfoil.com/collectr.htm

Also, if you can be patient, you can ship the box through the various collectors here who pick up and deliver to the various phonograph shows.

And when you get the box, allow it to adjust to the temperature of your house slowly, meaning, don't open the box for a day or 2 if there was more than a 5 or so degree difference between inside and outside temperatures.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

For a small upcharge, the post office will hand carry a package. I think it was 10 dollars last time I used it.
Dave D

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I would start by shipping the cylinders in good lined record boxes with lids and filling the inside of the cylinder with tissue so the cylinder walls are supported on both sides. I agree with double boxing. I would recommend the same packing even if I were bringing them from Oregon to Union.

Jerry Blais

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

All the above is excellent, BUT the biggest problem with any mail is the mailman , My father worked for the post office for many years and told me NEVER PUT FRAGILE on a box as it will be thrown across the office for someone to catch , handlers of parcels are notorious for doing this they are bored as are airport luggage handlers

this is your luggage being taken off a plane , the same thing happens to fragile mail

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2018-09 ... -on-video/

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

When shipping rare brown wax cylinders I put them in PVC pipe cut into six inch sections. This protects them from just about any possible situation.

Rich Gordon

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

That's a great idea Gordon. Never thought of that, but the seller may not want to spend that much time. If he's not an experienced packer you might want him to take the cylinders to Fedex and describe the problem. They will double box if you direct them to do that, and will pack well. You don't have to ship with them if you have another shipper in mind. But if you ship it Fedex with the declared value, they can't say that you didn't pack them properly if there is breakage.