short victrola floor model? Educate me please!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

short victrola floor model? Educate me please!

Post by Mormon S »

Found this for $75. Seems to have been poorly painted black. Never seen one, dont know the value, any info on it?
Attachments
Screenshot_20181002-161634_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg
Screenshot_20181002-161629_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg
Screenshot_20181002-160947_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: short victrola floor model? Educate me please!

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It's probably not painted, but darkened with age, too much polish buildup, and alligatored varnish on the mahogany finish.

The machine is a Victrola Model XI, built 1920, cut down into a short cabinet by an owner. Could be interesting if reasons for conversion were known, otherwise, it's junk.

EDIT:

Actually, I'd probably not want to junk it. The reasons for this could be interesting--it might have been cut down to make it look more like a Consolette-style machine in the late 1920s, or for use in an old travel trailer, or by a disabled person. Someone obviously did a good job on the conversion, better than many...likely it's only worth about forty dollars but it's still interesting.

But if I was fixing an original then it'd probably end up a donor machine.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:It's probably not painted, but darkened with age, too much polish buildup, and alligatored varnish on the mahogany finish.

The machine is a Victrola Model XI, built 1920, cut down into a short cabinet by an owner. Could be interesting if reasons for conversion were known, otherwise, it's junk.

EDIT:

Actually, I'd probably not want to junk it. The reasons for this could be interesting--it might have been cut down to make it look more like a Consolette-style machine in the late 1920s, or for use in an old travel trailer, or by a disabled person. Someone obviously did a good job on the conversion, better than many...likely it's only worth about forty dollars but it's still interesting.

But if I was fixing an original then it'd probably end up a donor machine.
Thank you! The conversion Job really fooled me. I have heard of sawed victrolas, but the job was too well done for me to think it was a homemade conversion.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I usually hate the cut-down ones but this is done so well (relatively speaking) and it's so bizarre--I don't hate it.
Am I crazy or would it be ideal for someone in a wheelchair? Maybe if Matthew Crawley hadn't miraculously regained the use of his legs, he could have rigged up something like this. Either that or it's from Munchkinland...
As far as value, probably the sum of its parts or less, if it remains the mystery it appears--unless some enterprising person comes up with some "historical provenance" to give it :lol:

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jwb88 wrote:I usually hate the cut-down ones but this is done so well (relatively speaking) and it's so bizarre--I don't hate it.
Am I crazy or would it be ideal for someone in a wheelchair? Maybe if Matthew Crawley hadn't miraculously regained the use of his legs, he could have rigged up something like this. Either that or it's from Munchkinland...
As far as value, probably the sum of its parts or less, if it remains the mystery it appears--unless some enterprising person comes up with some "historical provenance" to give it :lol:
Maybe Eleanor got it for Franklin.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Phonofolks
Victor I

Post by Phonofolks »

What does the ID plate say is the model number of this phonograph?

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

What does the ID plate say is the model number of this phonograph?
The dataplate was shown in the original Craigslist ad identifying the machine as a VV-XI.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I learned, from watching TV, that many people are willing to believe made up stories from the past about various things without regard to proof. So, in keeping with this line of thinking, I propose that this Victrola was custom built for Schlitze “Schlitzie” Surtees (birth name unknown, possibly Simon Metz). He was one of the most famous “pinhead” sideshow performers in history, primarily due to his role in Tod Browning’s 1932 film Freaks. Schlitzie was only four feet tall and obviously needed a small Victrola.

Now you know the rest of the story, at least as far as I am concerned, so it must be true... :roll: :lol:
For you doubters, here's my proof: Napoleon Hill said "If I can conceive and believe in something, it must be true." And who would question him?
Attachments
1_29.jpg
1_29.jpg (23.76 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

HEY!!! I thought I told you NOT to post my damn picture! Thanks Pally! :evil:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

gramophone-georg wrote:HEY!!! I thought I told you NOT to post my damn picture! Thanks Pally! :evil:
Sorry George, I forgot our agreement... :oops: :roll: :? :lol: ;)
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife