Diamond discs below 50,050?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Re: Diamond discs below 50,050?

Post by 52089 »

Governor Flyball wrote:
Can anyone recommend a definitive source of information on the earliest pre-July 1913 Diamond Discs?
Sadly, no. The Collector's Guide provide a rough idea of what's available, but that's about it. I wrote an article about these once, but as it was basically just a rewrite of the Collector's Guide info with only minor additional information, I never submitted it. I have asked to buy or borrow these discs for research purposes, but there are so few out there that most people don't even know if they have any!

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Not sure if I have any off these very early disc or not? I will have to check. I do have some early laminated disc that have great sound as pointed out and often if played with a good stylus still have amazing surfaces. Way too many when you try to buy them have long cracks making them unplayable, but once in a while one does not. I had seen the information on how to spot the early labels but the photos are appreciated. Do all of them have the numbers in the small box at the bottom at six as suggested?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

larryh wrote:Not sure if I have any off these very early disc or not? I will have to check. I do have some early laminated disc that have great sound as pointed out and often if played with a good stylus still have amazing surfaces. Way too many when you try to buy them have long cracks making them unplayable, but once in a while one does not. I had seen the information on how to spot the early labels but the photos are appreciated. Do all of them have the numbers in the small box at the bottom at six as suggested?
The best way is to just check the numbers. From 50001-50046, only 50001, 50043, and 50045 stayed in the catalog past July 1913. Any copy of any other number in that range is definitely an early press. Early pressings of the 3 numbers that stayed in the catalog can be identified by other characteristics, like an enlarged center ring, backwards matrix numbers, etc.