Standard and Triumph model G

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Governor Flyball
Victor II

Re: Standard and Triumph model G

Post by Governor Flyball »

Curious the last patent date is 1906. I recall the only difference between the Triumph models F and G was the substitution of a two spring motor for the original three spring Triton.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thank you OrthoFan and Peter F for the information. The triumph was listed at $ 3000 starting price and was estimated to go for $ 6000 to $ 8000., no sold price. At least There is one. What is funny is I have a Edison standard C ICS phonograph and it is s/n 820130 and it is one of the highest serial numbered phonographs around.. That is the reason I brought almost all the pieces on E bay when someone was parting it out. I wanted to keep it whole and as original as possible. I was looking at Martins spread sheet and he has no standard Gs listed either. Edison was closing down, in 1914, its outside horn production and may have screwed up its serial numbers as he had a tendency to use up all his old and new stock combined. That plate with s/n 789909 and has the G on it would be in the later days of production. That would make sense because the G was supposed to be releasd in 1913. It just funny that the serial number was not higher but Edison had to ship them out to the USA and overseas. I believe the G was a four minute machine only, as they were not making two minute cylinders. The standard E was four minute only followed by the F which was a combination 2/4 minute phonograph. Flows book page 111 in the companion says he may have been selling Fs as G phonographs. The only difference between a F and G was the carrier arm. Aparently the G used a diamond b reproducer and came with an adapter ring for a smaller reproducer. Edison had a tendency to make cosmetic changes and claim its the NEW AND IMPROVED. Thanks for the help if you come accross any more examples please post them. I just started working on a home C and hope to have that completed in a month. Tom

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

tomb wrote:Thank you OrthoFan and Peter F for the information. The triumph was listed at $ 3000 starting price and was estimated to go for $ 6000 to $ 8000., no sold price. Tom
Selling price was $10,000. If you have an account and sign in they show the selling price.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Skihawx wrote:
tomb wrote:Thank you OrthoFan and Peter F for the information. The triumph was listed at $ 3000 starting price and was estimated to go for $ 6000 to $ 8000., no sold price. Tom
Selling price was $10,000. If you have an account and sign in they show the selling price.
It looks like if someone posts a Standard G for sale that it would probably go for that much too or a lot more. I wonder if there are some in Europe as it was exported. During WW II a lot of metal items were melted down to support the war effort though. Tom

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

tomb wrote: What is funny is I have a Edison standard C ICS phonograph and it is s/n 820130 and it is one of the highest serial numbered phonographs around..
Keep in mind that each style Edison Phonograph (Gem, Standard, Home, etc.) had its own serial numbering beginning at zero. (It's theoretically possible to find the same serial number on two different style Edison Phonographs.) Because of that, comparing serial numbers of different style Edison Phonographs makes little chronological sense, beyond noting approximately where each line was numbered when certain changes took place (cabinet moldings, large diameter carriages, etc.).

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Wow. Stuff has happened while I was at work!

Peter: I am extremely in your debt for posting a photo of a Standard model G data plate. I have been actively looking since 1999, and that is the first and only actual evidence I have seen (albeit a photo) of a model G marked as such. I was quite certain that they were sold as such, but despaired of ever finding one that was actually marked as a "G". This gives me hope that maybe I'll get a chance to see a complete machine someday.

Tom: I'm pretty sure that the final serial numbers wouldn't necessarily show as model "G" machines. The reason being is that the model "G" was an entertainment machine offered to the general public while the final serial numbers all seem to be machines that were cleared out and thus ended-up ICS language machines. These final ones would have been sold cheaply to ICS, clearing out the old obsolete stock. Toward the end, Standards were becoming hard to move, so there are many examples of them being re-configured to entice buyers (hence the XD/F data plate). That is why you'll see such a mix of model types starting in 780,000s thru the early 800,000s. By 817,000 it seems that Edison was trying to move the old stocks out by supplying them to the ICS. Perhaps there are (or were) some very high-numbered model Gs, but most of the last ones seem to be the ICS-configured machines.

Thanks everybody for the great discussion.

Martin

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Well Martin, I almost passed the plate by when I spotted it in a box of stuff at a yard sale. Give me a call sometime and I’ll tell you the rest of the story.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks again for the G plate Peter. Did the person you got the plate from have any information on the phonograph or it was just a GOOD LUCKY FIND. ??? As said earlier at least we now know that they were produced. They have been a ghost phonograph. Tom

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Let’s call it an educated lucky find.