Prologue to Pagliacci Thomas Chalmers on wax Amberol

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Prologue to Pagliacci Thomas Chalmers on wax Amberol

Post by marcapra »

The 4 minute Amberol wax cylinders can have very great sound if they haven't been played much. So I don't play them very often and when I do, I like to make a recording of it. Enjoy the Prologue from the one act opera Pagliacci, sung in English by Thomas Chalmers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-18ar0k2SM

Damfino59
Victor II

Re: Prologue to Pagliacci Thomas Chalmers on wax Amberol

Post by Damfino59 »

I must say that this sounds absolutely wonderful. Being a wax amberol cylinder that does not suffer from the “out of round” syndrome like the Blue Amberols does help with the playback.

Too bad vinyl molding technology came a hundred years later.

Of course the 1a flywheel helps also.

Glenn

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Thanks, Damfino. yes I was wondering why some BA's sound distorted, especially band music.

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

My thanks to marcapra. I am glad somebody is prepared to take wax Amberols seriously, and even to find virtues in them which the Blue Amberols (excellent though they often are) do not share! I cannot hear a trace of blasting from this powerful voice.

Oliver Mundy.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Agreed - wax Amberols are not for the inexperienced, the clumsy, nor the careless. But they are a fine medium for 1908-1912 recordings - - some of which are unavailable anywhere else.

George P.

Phonomark
Victor II

Post by Phonomark »

4 Minute Amberol Records are the best. Yes, a little touchy to handle. But no more so than brown or black wax. And the sound quality is much better.

A record collector friend told me that of the 1157 4 minute wax records released, only 360 were later released on blue amberol. So that's a lot of music content only found on 4 minute wax.

-Mark

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Phonomark wrote:4 Minute Amberol Records are the best. Yes, a little touchy to handle. But no more so than brown or black wax. And the sound quality is much better.

A record collector friend told me that of the 1157 4 minute wax records released, only 360 were later released on blue amberol. So that's a lot of music content only found on 4 minute wax.

-Mark
That's 1157 records in the popular series. Don't forget the hundreds of records in the operatic, foreign, and special series that were only released on wax Amberol!