(HMV Nipper) Chalkware Record Stand/Promotional Display

Post links to auctions and classifieds here

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: (HMV Nipper) Chalkware Record Stand/Promotional Display

Post by epigramophone »

Probably made for Victor, this is an unusual item to find in the UK. An example is pictured on Page 509, Fig.117, of The Collectors Guide to HMV Nipper Souvenirs.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote:Probably made for Victor, this is an unusual item to find in the UK. An example is pictured on Page 509, Fig.117, of The Collectors Guide to HMV Nipper Souvenirs.
These were reproduced in large numbers in the 1980s 90s in both chalk and resin , over the years I have had several original white plaster nipper ornaments and bookends , they have always been all white with no colour at all and have a very recognizable patina , the reproduction ones are invariably painted in some way the copyists can't resist enhancing the original concept, I would be dubious about the originality of this item particularly as it is in the UK , but it is only £12 and probably won't make much more

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I think you are right. Nipper should not have a blue collar!

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

I vote an emphatic "reproduction" on the one in the listing.
I have an original Nipper record display, made of a soft chalk-like material (Pictured below) This can also be seen on page 2-93 of Robin and Joan Rolfs' excellent book, Nipper Collectibles (2007). The originals were not painted and had a mold impression on the bottom (see pics), being made in Minnesota.

As Soundgen pointed out, they have been reproduced in plaster and other materials. Most repros look rather crude compared to originals.

I've only seen four originals in collections (and in the Rolfs' book).. I suspect many more have survived. It would be interesting to hear how many Forum members have one in their collections.

Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN2671.JPG
DSCN2671.JPG (138.25 KiB) Viewed 871 times
DSCN2672.JPG
DSCN2672.JPG (139.46 KiB) Viewed 871 times
DSCN2673.JPG
DSCN2673.JPG (137.87 KiB) Viewed 871 times
DSCN2680.JPG
DSCN2680.JPG (138.92 KiB) Viewed 871 times