WANTED: Nipper Projects

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: WANTED: Nipper Projects

Post by Roaring20s »

I wouldn't sink any money in it as a project, but If I saw it at a yard sale... $5 to put on my work bench, as decoration, is ok.

James.

uncle-jimmy
Victor O

Post by uncle-jimmy »

Boy Jerry....I don't know... there's a whole lot missing from that little fellow , and what is left doesn't look all that great :roll: !! I must give the seller credit for doing her homework on the history of Nipper . I was especially amused by the fact that she made a note that "ONLY 1 available" :shock: . Who would of ever Thunk it ?
I certainly do not know as much about the value of these guys, as You do Jerry , But I do know …. that if Anybody can bring that little Pup back to life …. It's You.
But … don't panic Jerry , I can't believe that anyone else is even giving this project a second thought besides you.

Good Luck if you go for it.
Jim

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"Obviously, this little guy is far from pristine. Nevertheless, he is surely worth " saving" since the paper-mache Nipper with "gass-eyes" is the most scarce and in demand. (When found in excellent condition, auction prices have exceeded $2,000. )"

You've gotta love the reference to $2,000... This one "may" be restorable, but it will take a lot of time and effort to re-create the ears, front legs, back legs and feet. I'm not sure it will ever look right... unless you can find another wreck and marry them together.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It's somewhat similar to the VV-XVIII that was torn in half the long way. Matt did an excellent repair job that took many hours but the end result was a great looking Victrola. When it was time to sell, Matt's low asking price reflected the heroic repair. I've always wondered if the subsequent asking price for that same machine reflected the repair. It would be so easy for the next seller to admit that it was refinished and leave it at that.

This Nipper could be repaired but it will always only be about half a dog. I suppose it would always be a Robo-Nipper and not worth much to a knowledgeable owner.

Jerry Blais

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Robo-Nipper!

That might be interesting, in a steampunk sort of way: replace the missing limbs with mechanical-looking prostheses; maybe make a tiny pair of goggles for him... ;)

Bill

Just remembered a piece I did some years ago: "His Master's Vise". The character is a fox from a fantasy story site; but I couldn't resist the pun...
madoghmv3sm.jpg
madoghmv3sm.jpg (439.66 KiB) Viewed 896 times

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

:lol:

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Since it's near Haloween, I have seen some skeleton dogs for sale. Maybe using skeletonized legs would be a great idea...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 7.53.31 PM.png

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I hadn't thought of that. That's thinking outside the box! Jerry

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Jerry B. wrote:I received a reply from the seller which said she would pay the shipping. But that leaves a $200 Nipper that needs both ears, both front legs & paws and both rear feet and that's still too much. Jerry
Boy, she hasn't got a clue if that's what negotiation means to her... She will never sell it for that, unless some creative Etsy-ite wants to use it as a popup when opening their upcycled VV-XVIII wine cabinet... :? :roll: :lol:
Attachments
Nipper-XVIII.jpg
Nipper-XVIII.jpg (93.05 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Last edited by Curt A on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Wife

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Jerry B. wrote:I hadn't thought of that. That's thinking outside the box! Jerry
Hi Jerry!

All kidding aside--if you are really looking for a nipper project I might have one for you.

I was rummaging through some boxes in my basement last night and came across an Original chalk Nipper about 5-6 inches tall. I have had the poor little guy for years thinking I could restore him; but I don't have the talent or desire. The little nipper has part of his nose broken off; but is in otherwise in good condition with a nice patina. If you are interested PM--Believe me--the price is right. I can post a photo on this topic or send you one PM. Best! Mark Roberts

Jerry Got is because he was the first to ask. Sorry--only had one. Mark Roberts
Attachments
vicytor dog and 1050 pieces 002.jpg