What reproducer do you use to play 2M Indestructibles?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

What reproducer do you use to play 2M Indestructibles?

Post by marcapra »

I was playing some 4 minute Columbia Indestructibles on my Amberola 1A and used a Diamond A reproducer as I would on a Blue Amberol. But then I started playing some 2 minute Indestructibles and wondered whether I should use the 2 min sapphire stylus on an M reproducer, or use the Diamond A. I assumed that since the 2 min. cylinder is made from celluloid that the Diamond A reproducer is correct. Am I correct? Marc.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: What reproducer do you use to play 2M Indestructibles?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

If I were you I'd switch over to the 2m sapphire needle--just because, though the Diamond A is unlikely to do damage, it's better tracking with a 2m needle.

But that's just a guess. Personally I play them with a 2-minute Columbia or a Edison Model C.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

You can use either. I play 2M Indestructibles with my Diamond A in my 1A all the time, they sound just as good or better than using my M with the 2 minute sapphire. If I've got wax out and I've already got the M in to play those, then I don't bother switching. We've discussed this here before, the consensus seemed to be that a Diamond A (or B in something like a Triumph) is fine for 2M Indestructibles. I've never noticed any kind of visible or audible damage by doing so and I've been doing it for years now.

Sean

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Also, the Diamond A sounds great with 2 min. Indestructibles. I don't notice any trouble with tracking.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Well, learn something new every day...

Reminds me that Berlin Phono Works shows "Tiger Rag", a newer 2m recording, played on a converted Home with a Diamond B and a cygnet. That was a mighty fine-sounding clip! Makes me almost want a copy for myself...