Edison C-4 questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: Edison C-4 questions

Post by phonogal »

jukejunkie wrote:From the photos the radio receiver is correct for a C-4. It was not unheard of to add a tone control by adding a rheostat that and knob with the wiring going to a base ring plate to the output tube. The later Edison Splitdorf radio receivers were gold in color larger and different tube makeup.
Any chance of getting a copy of those instructions? I'm thinking it is not likely they will be with the machine.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

jukejunkie wrote:From the photos the radio receiver is correct for a C-4. It was not unheard of to add a tone control by adding a rheostat that and knob with the wiring going to a base ring plate to the output tube. The later Edison Splitdorf radio receivers were gold in color larger and different tube makeup.
The one that I commented on was about the old post referenced to that specific set. It was offered to me and listed on the forum. When I got more photos of it--it did have R-7 right on the ID plate of the radio. I know that a tone control was an add-on and would not be closed to that. Are you planning to part with or copy the instructions or "Key?" Does anyone else have a copy of the instruction manuals for a C-4 or R-7? I have an R-7 Radio and won't give up my search for an early C-4. Thanks! Mark (sorry to stray off the subject; just wanted to clarify my statement)

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

I've made arrangements with the seller to pick this up. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions and will need assistance to get this up and running safely. Thank you to everyone for the information. Hopefully it will not require anything major to fix.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

phonogal wrote:I've made arrangements with the seller to pick this up. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions and will need assistance to get this up and running safely. Thank you to everyone for the information. Hopefully it will not require anything major to fix.
I am so happy that you got this beauty! You either love them or don't--I LOVE THEM!!! Be sure to post a shot of it with the doors and lid open. Make sure that you rummage through the record bins under the lid. That is how I found the manual, key and a couple of needle cuts on the very first one that I owned. Regret to this day giving mine up but you have given me new hope that there are still unmolested ones in the wild. Cheers! Mark Roberts

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Thank you Mark. I will look but there are only a few Columbia records that she said were in it. Hopefully all the parts are there. I'll post more pictures after I pick it up.

jukejunkie
Victor I

Post by jukejunkie »

Here is a zip form of the C-4 manual. R-6 & R-7 to follow.
Attachments
Edison C-411072018_0000.zip
C-4 Manual
(11.27 MiB) Downloaded 73 times

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

jukejunkie wrote:Here is a zip form of the C-4 manual. R-6 & R-7 to follow.
Thank you so much for sharing this. Jan

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

phonogal wrote:
jukejunkie wrote:Here is a zip form of the C-4 manual. R-6 & R-7 to follow.
Thank you so much for sharing this. Jan
Many Thanks from me, too--jukejunkie! If anyone looks at page 21 of this document they will see the early 3 knob radio configuration that phonogal found but that continues to elude me. Still looking for any help finding another one like that to go with the nice manual you uploaded for me. Ever thought of 3D printing the Dial-O-Matic key--it would probably sell well--HA!! :? :roll:

P.S. Looking forward to the R7 manual if you have it, too--Surprisingly I have all of the paperwork for my C-2 radio phono. Mark

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I had to sell my C-4 a few years ago because I bought a C-2. but I made a video of the C-4 in action on Youtube. Mark, I bet you would love to find one in this condition! The cabinet was especially perfect. Marc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-_1gIAUV0I

jukejunkie
Victor I

Post by jukejunkie »

R-6 Manual Sorry it took so long and pages are a little out of order. New scanner and I am still getting used to it.
Attachments
R-6.zip
(646.45 KiB) Downloaded 46 times