The best Edison Diamond Disc diaphragm is BACK!!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

The best Edison Diamond Disc diaphragm is BACK!!!!

Post by MicaMonster »

I have taken on the project of making the legendary John Maeder diaphragm with the permission and encouragement of the designer, but with several minor improvements that made an already perfect diaphragm....AMAZING. It’s called the “Figure6” Diaphragm, and it is described in one word: CLARITY. Once you hear one, you will be shocked and amazed. Lower surface noise transmission, high clarity. THIS is how the Edison DD machine sounded like when new....and why so many people bought them. I am not going to push the sale of these too hard, as I feel that word-of-mouth will do enough.

Contact me for details. restorationarts@gmail.com

I can forward a copy of the installation instructions if you are curious to know if you can handle the job, otherwise i can do it for you.
Attachments
71CDA70E-C421-48C4-9261-BD4EE50A02D4.jpeg
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: The best Edison Diamond Disc diaphragm is BACK!!!!

Post by audiophile102 »

I would be curious how it would compare with the True Tone diaphragm made by Larryh. I have experienced a big improvement in the sound quality since installing the True Tone diaphragm in my A250, so I'm skeptical that it could be improved upon. It's great owning a diamond disk machine and even more fun to enjoy the music it plays!
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

audiophile102 wrote:I would be curious how it would compare with the True Tone diaphragm made by Larryh. I have experienced a big improvement in the sound quality since installing the True Tone diaphragm in my A250, so I'm skeptical that it could be improved upon. It's great owning a diamond disk machine and even more fun to enjoy the music it plays!
I have one of Wyatt's new diaphragms that he graciously came down and installed for me last week. I also have one of Larry's diaphragms. There's a very noticeable difference, Wyatt's has a much brighter sound. Certainly worthy of trying out if you're at all curious to compare them. I've been having a good time doing just that.

Sean

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I appreciate the comments by Audiophile. I also appreciate the work of Wyatt and John. In reality my entire goal was to encourage a better product than what was commonly being sold at the time. I was able to increase the reality of sound with pleasing tonal output and little to no distortion. It was a huge improvement over most things sold at the time. However from the start I encouraged others to create designs in hopes of finding even better sound. Several members here have also worked hard on ideas as well. A few times some designs came very close to excellent sound but fell a bit short. I know from the work of NIck that higher dynamics was certainly possible. So it will make me most happy to have a superior sound still. I will be the first to endorse it if so. I hope my efforts will have paid off though an even better design. I have enjoyed hearing from many people who were as Audiophile quite happy with the improved sound. Building a better mousetrap always satisfies the public.

Larry

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Clearly the solution is to buy two Diamond Disc machines. Then one can have a Figure Six in one, and a Truetone in the other, for picking those special records that sound best on certain machines. :lol:

Now my challenge is: invent a really small diaphragm, whether Figure 6 or Truetone, that fits a small cylinder reproducer. It could be the size of Model C gaskets--then it would fit C, H, K, and Columbia reproducers, and enhance the sound of all of them.

Ok, back to the Figure 6 on a DD...(gets off soapbox.)

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Granted sound is somewhat subjective to the room, the record, the listener to be sure.. Myself I always thought of the Edison as a more mellow and subdued machine on many records. Some late very loud records when pushed to far can have an irritating effect which I don't personally care for. Others like anything to be loud and judge by that alone. Its an interesting topic and hopefully the listeners will be the winners here, no matter what they decide. I my self am happy to have something that is going to bring out more of the music from the record, and I hope that is what we have in store. I will be testing one soon. I have spent a lot of time producing those True Tones that are out there and ready for someone else to carry the load.

Larry

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hey, I heard about someone using aluminum diaphragms for the Diamond Discs. Some said it was a good sound, others said they wore the records out and blatted and squawked and sounded awful. It all depended on who you asked.

Thanks so much for all you do. I hope the TrueTone stays around for years. Wish I had more Edisons to install them and the Figure Six in! My Amberola 30 is probably one of the most remarkable phonographs I own--neat, attractive, reliable, and Oh What A SOUND! all thanks to a modern diaphragm.

I think research is awesome here...wish I had a few more Edison record players!

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I hope Audiophile doesn't mind but he sent me this video of his machine and I must admit it does sound pretty darn good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHW9CBI ... T&index=11

Larry

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Hey VanEppsFan,

I am moving to a smaller home and have a lot of great DD machines for you to buy at low prices. Unfortunately I'm on the west coast. Marc.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

marcapra wrote:Hey VanEppsFan,

I am moving to a smaller home and have a lot of great DD machines for you to buy at low prices. Unfortunately I'm on the west coast. Marc.
So, MicaMonster--What do I do?

I just finalized a deal and am in the process of having an Edisonic Beethoven delivered to me. I wanted to keep the original loud but not blasting sound by having you rebuild the original reproducer anyway. Should I upgrade to this new diaphragm? I am really confused about what to do; as I have no idea what the original Edisonics sounded like compared to ones equipped with your new diaphragm. I believe in supporting modern technology; such as the superior reproduction cylinders being made; but am at a loss with my Edisonic. HELP!! :shock: