Help Needed on VE-XVIII Electric Cord set-up.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
outune
Victor IV

Help Needed on VE-XVIII Electric Cord set-up.

Post by outune »

Many of you have read and responded to my earlier post "New Find- in the wild" about the Circassian Walnut XVIII--- Lots of forum members have given me great info both on and off-line. I have a question and would greatly appreciate any help--

The wiring harness looks to be intact and in fairly good shape-- BUT-- It appears the power cable should go through the escutcheon on the back panel of the case, with the coiled spring around the cable designed to protect it. What should be happening on the outside of the case-- My wires are just loose ends. I see no evidence of plug-block being attached anywhere, and if a male plug was attached to the cable, so that a longer cord could be attached (similar to my Credenza), then there would be no way to remove the back panel--
I'm confused-- Can anyone shed light on how the power cord should be attached?

Thanks-- See pics below.

Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN2841.JPG
DSCN2841.JPG (150.37 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
DSCN2842.JPG
DSCN2842.JPG (150.09 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

EarlH
Victor III

Re: Help Needed on VE-XVIII Electric Cord set-up.

Post by EarlH »

On the one's I've worked on, they are just hard wired in, but I would put a plug back there as it's a lot easier to get that back board off the thing.
That gold plated spring that went through the escutcheon to protect the cord on the back as well. I've only seen few of those, so they must not have had a high survival rate. The lamp shade in the record compartment didn't seem to stick around with those things either. Nice find by the way Brad! Earl.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks Earl-- I can't even picture the little lampshade. The majority of my collecting has been earlier, outside horn machines, so I admittedly know little about the Electric machines. I now have three members who have verified that the cord was hard-wired. I can do that- First, I want to carefully check the harness for breaks.. I think I can replicate it with new wires.

Did you ever get the Virginia dwarf VTLA and the lower case from Michigan married up?

Brad

thatonejohn
Victor I

Post by thatonejohn »

The one I picked up recently has 7 feet of cord once it exits the cabinet. I haven't had much of an issue of removing the back and finding a safe place to set it within 7 feet. Otherwise it appears I could unscrew the wires from the plug. I've attached a picture of the plug that was on mine when I picked it up, although I am unsure if it's the original one, cord is original at least.
Attachments
IMG_20181110_121241.jpg
IMG_20181110_121311.jpg
IMG_20181110_121311.jpg (171.4 KiB) Viewed 1848 times

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

[quote="EarlH"]On the one's I've worked on, they are just hard wired in, but I would put a plug back there as it's a lot easier to get that back board off the thing.
That gold plated spring that went through the escutcheon to protect the cord on the back as well. I've only seen few of those, so they must not have had a high survival rate. The lamp shade in the record compartment didn't seem to stick around with those things either. Nice find by the way Brad! Earl.[/quote

I've always associated those lampshades with orthophonic machines. Maybe because I never see them on the earlier electrolas.
-bill

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

The lampshade is not the same one used on the Orthophonic machine. It's just a gold plated dome with clips to hold it on the bulb. I'll have to look and see if I have any pictures of the one I saw. The machine it was on had always been in the same family, and they saved everything with the thing. If Victor didn't supply the shade, the dealer may have.

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Ah, a different animal! I've never seen one. Does sound like an item that would be frequently lost.
- bill

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Here is the Victor Service Bulletin for the universal electric motor.
Attachments
Victor Univ Motor Svc Notes 19.pdf
(2.36 MiB) Downloaded 71 times

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Brad, if it was mine, I would totally replace the old wiring harness with modern cloth covered wire... Even though it may appear to be good, 100+ year old copper wiring is brittle and why take a chance on it shorting out sometime or causing a fire? Some "purists" take pride in the fact that their wiring is original, as if that is a good thing. Like rust and corrosion, old wiring is not a patina, but rather a potential hazard. Wiring connections on old electrical items are often corroded and don't provide a good contact connection. I have rewired a number of antique lighting fixtures and discovered plenty of potential problems, which were resolved by rewiring with modern wire that is much improved over the early stuff. What is important is the appearance of the wiring, not the age, so if you have modern wiring that looks antique you have the best of both worlds.

Here is an example of cloth covered modern wire and a vintage looking plug that provides the correct polarity to go with it...
WIRE: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M58CD80/re ... fe8814db4b
PLUG: https://www.amazon.com/Lamp-Brown-Acorn ... BSQXA6SSPE
Attachments
61o5LzfuNcL._SL1200_.jpg
61Opnj53G5L._SL1200_.jpg
41ZJaLzuljL.jpg
41ZJaLzuljL.jpg (26.76 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

thatonejohn wrote:The one I picked up recently has 7 feet of cord once it exits the cabinet. I haven't had much of an issue of removing the back and finding a safe place to set it within 7 feet. Otherwise it appears I could unscrew the wires from the plug. I've attached a picture of the plug that was on mine when I picked it up, although I am unsure if it's the original one, cord is original at least.
That is a perfect example of wiring that looks hazardous, frayed insulation, etc. The plug is missing its insulating disc, leaving bare wires exposed... If you have grandchildren or children around your house, this is an unsafe situation... plug that in and accidentally touch the screws to see what happens... If you think I am being too cautious, invite someone from your fire department to come by and inspect this or send a picture of this wiring to your insurance company...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife