Reproduction Cylinders and Discs

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Reproduction Cylinders and Discs

Post by Victrolacollector »

There are so many great titles to make, it would be nice to see upcoming releases of the following selections on cylinder or Disc.

Susianna - Piccadilly Players

I want to be Bad - Ermine Calloway

Makin’ Whoopee - B.A. Rolfe

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Reproduction Cylinders and Discs

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Amen on the B.A. Rolfe record! Anything and everything by them is really good--prefer to see it on cylinder.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

hey guys, Don Wilson has made Makin' Whoopee on DD already from my original. In fact, he said it was his best seller. Also I want to be bad I believe has already been made by Norman and maybe Don. Susianna I don't think has been made by anyone, but I have an original DD if Don wanted to make it. But I don't think it's well enough known to be a big enough seller to reproduce.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

marcapra wrote:hey guys, Don Wilson has made Makin' Whoopee on DD already from my original. In fact, he said it was his best seller. Also I want to be bad I believe has already been made by Norman and maybe Don. Susianna I don't think has been made by anyone, but I have an original DD if Don wanted to make it. But I don't think it's well enough known to be a big enough seller to reproduce.
As Marc mentioned, I do have "Makin Whoopee" and "I Want To Be Bad" available on DD. I had not heard of "Susianna" before and just looked it up on Youtube... it's definitely a good song.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

donniej wrote:
marcapra wrote:hey guys, Don Wilson has made Makin' Whoopee on DD already from my original. In fact, he said it was his best seller. Also I want to be bad I believe has already been made by Norman and maybe Don. Susianna I don't think has been made by anyone, but I have an original DD if Don wanted to make it. But I don't think it's well enough known to be a big enough seller to reproduce.
As Marc mentioned, I do have "Makin Whoopee" and "I Want To Be Bad" available on DD. I had not heard of "Susianna" before and just looked it up on Youtube... it's definitely a good song.
Susianna is good for a Diamond Disc or even as a Needle type 78. Susianna has a very warm sound, I really like that short intro, has some beat.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

I'm hoping to soon locate a copy of Johnny Marvin's "Jersey Walk". This one is peppy, fun and probably what the kids who were into the "fad of the moment" were listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRHTUWdniwo

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Victrolacollector wrote:There are so many great titles to make, it would be nice to see upcoming releases of the following selections on cylinder or Disc.

Susianna - Piccadilly Players

I want to be Bad - Ermine Calloway

Makin’ Whoopee - B.A. Rolfe
The Ermine Calloway version of "I Want To Be Bad" that Don copied came from my original MINT copy of the diamond disc. You will not find another copy better than the one Don Wilson has to offer unless you are lucky enough to find an original. Thanks! Mark

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

donniej wrote:I'm hoping to soon locate a copy of Johnny Marvin's "Jersey Walk". This one is peppy, fun and probably what the kids who were into the "fad of the moment" were listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRHTUWdniwo
That was a show tune, performed in Ohio by Marvin during a scene change in "Honeymoon Lane". Tremendously popular number in 1926. His Columbia recording is fairly easy to find:

https://youtu.be/HWAlgSGtQpc

And his Victor waxing with the Roger Wolfe Kahn organization is downright common, for good reason; it's wonderful!

https://youtu.be/dPo5-Eb9ZQU