Joseph C Smith Anyone?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wes K
Victor I

Joseph C Smith Anyone?

Post by Wes K »

I have to confess, I like Joseph C Smith Orchestra recordings. Some of my first 78's were Joseph C. Smith on batwing Victors and I have been hooked since. I like the way the arrangements are done, how often two popular songs will be blended together with one introducing the other, and the very spirited violin counter melodies from apparently Mr. Smith himself. I realize that his work was quickly overshadowed by the much more jazzy work of others, but there is still some haunting quality that is hard to describe that makes me like them.

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Joseph C Smith Anyone?

Post by Wolfe »

Oh, yeah. Rarely been let down by a Joseph C. Smith record.

After the fly by night later 20's 'jazzy' bandleaders, with Smith you have a guy who understands fundamentals and can deliver. That's why you keep coming back.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Wolfe wrote:
After the fly by night later 20's 'jazzy' bandleaders...

"Fly by night". As in Roger Wolfe Kahn?

He flew in the daytime, too.

https://youtu.be/JcCgq7aqsG8

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Oh, I like Roger Wolfe Kahn records, too. :)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I don't know if Joseph C. Smith is ragtime or jazz but if you have any--ANY--12" records let me know! I LOVE Smith's Orchestra.

There is a certain thrill to playing race-series Vocalions on a nice open-horn Victor, but there is a lot more casual fun in the hobby when you just crank up your average, dirty old mahogany Victrola and throw on some Joseph C. Smith and go wash the dishes or something. It sounds like time travel.

Also, Paul Whiteman is fun too.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: just crank up your average, dirty old mahogany Victrola and throw on some Joseph C. Smith and go wash the dishes or something.
I wish we could disallow this comment, but we're going to have to let it stand.

Maybe we can offer a pean to Joseph C. Smith's soul in compensation. I doubt it, but we can try.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

So you don't have any dish-washing music?

Hey, I couldn't afford a very fancy Victrola when I got started and I'd a heap rather listen to music when I wash the dishes or something like that, than have to make small-talk about politics or the weather.

I use Smith's records for DJ service as well and they prove a hit there too.

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:So you don't have any dish-washing music?

Hey, I couldn't afford a very fancy Victrola when I got started and I'd a heap rather listen to music when I wash the dishes or something like that, than have to make small-talk about politics or the weather.

I use Smith's records for DJ service as well and they prove a hit there too.
If I were an artist of any period I would not want to think that my music was simply used to fill a void while someone did a mundane task..just my two cents

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:So you don't have any dish-washing music?
Can't say that I do. I like doing the washing up as I go, rather than leaving it for later.

And if I tried playing Joseph C. Smith records, I fear that my feet would be a-tappin' too much.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I don't know if Joseph C. Smith is ragtime or jazz but if you have any--ANY--12" records let me know! I LOVE Smith's Orchestra.

There is a certain thrill to playing race-series Vocalions on a nice open-horn Victor, but there is a lot more casual fun in the hobby when you just crank up your average, dirty old mahogany Victrola and throw on some Joseph C. Smith and go wash the dishes or something. It sounds like time travel.

Also, Paul Whiteman is fun too.

I find the songs are too short to listen to while doing something else, anyway, unless you've got the CD that was put out, Songs of the Night. But some of my favorites aren't on the CD and the music has a totally different feel when played on a wind-up. Close your eyes, tap your toes and you are time traveling!

My very FIRST 78 was a bat-wing Paul Whiteman, and I have a special fondness of his style of music too.