Edison Mexican Series Gold Moulded Cylinders

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Flvice
Victor O

Edison Mexican Series Gold Moulded Cylinders

Post by Flvice »

I have a few Mexican Series 18000 cylinder records that play pretty well. I like them and every once in a while I come across one in a lot. The intro in Spanish is neat also.

I recently tried to do some research about them and found very little. I did discover that they have there own special Gold Moulded box (Pictured below) which none of my records have. I would love to find one or two or three...... for the records that I have. How scarce are those boxes? I have never seen one before.

Does anyone have any info on these records or know where I can find some info?

Also, if you happen to have such a box and can part with it... let me know your price.
Attachments
1_9d33f4ad4a7e7c712d02be244dfe4bfb.jpg
1_9d33f4ad4a7e7c712d02be244dfe4bfb.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
1_9d33f4ad4a7e7c712d02be244dfe4bfb.jpg
1_9d33f4ad4a7e7c712d02be244dfe4bfb.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 1994 times

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Edison Mexican Series Gold Moulded Cylinders

Post by gramophoneshane »

I too was unaware the 2m-GM Mexican series had it's own Mexican box.
I wonder if the Mexican 2 minute blue amberols also had their own box, or if by that stage, they just got a generic BA box?
Interesting find, and thanks for sharing.

If anyone does have one of these 2m boxes in their collection, perhaps they wouldn't mind having a look at the gold border above the photo of Edison, to see if there is a "Form No." printed there. They can be hard to see at times, however, they could be like the British series boxes with a red lid & have no form number anywhere on the label at all.

Good luck with your search!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Interesting. I've got a few of the "Bohemian Series". They come in the standard 2 min edison box but the cover label is written in Czech.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

The Mexican boxes are evidently much rarer than the records themselves. In 45 years of cylinder record collecting, I have seen only one, which I unsuccessfully bid for on eBay, perhaps the same one pictured above. That is saying something, because of the Mexican series, I own at least a half dozen 2M wax and still have ten of the 2M Blue Amberols.

max_phenol
Victor O

Post by max_phenol »

I just went back to this topic after almost seven years to notice that there are some questions left. ;-)

The Edison 2min Mexican box indeed has it's own form number which interestingly is also written in Spanish language. I attach a photo of it.

I have a question to "Valecnik" about the Bohemian series. You write that the label on lid is written in Czech. Do you mean the title information or the entire label (what usually is "Edison Gold Moulded Records - This record should run at 160 revolutions per minute (not faster)". All European non-British/French/German series' boxes that I ever saw had either the text in English, French or German but never in the language of the series (Czech, Norwegian etc.).

Helmut
Mexican_Edison_2m_form_no.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Thank you Helmut for that form number photo. It's much appreciated.