Cleaning Corrosion From Oxidized Bronze

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
OrthoSean
Victor V

Cleaning Corrosion From Oxidized Bronze

Post by OrthoSean »

I’m hoping someone may have an answer here. My VV 8-7 has this weird corrosion on the tonearm. Any good ways to clean it off? I obviously don’t want to try anything harsh. I wiped it down with ammonia which did nothing. Anyone?

Sean
Attachments
EAC30F07-7B3B-4369-B6A4-1B6AF516FFAC.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Cleaning Corrosion From Oxidized Bronze

Post by JerryVan »

Most likely, the corrosion is not "on" the oxidized finish, but through it. Down to the brass beneath. If you could remove the oxidation, I don't believe the finish would look any better. My guess is, that it would look worse. Is that tone arm specifically for an 8-7, or might there be a better example out there?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I'm not sure this is a "standard" size. I've had this 8-7 for maybe 5 years now and I'm just now starting to get back into getting it done. This machine, along with a few others here have been sitting unfinished for far too long!

Sean

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

There has got to be a way to get that finish back on there, without swapping the tonearm...anyone have an idea how they did it back then?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

You might want to try 0000 steel wool soaked with WD-40. I have removed corrosion from other metal this way, but not sure about this tonearm. If you do it lightly it might not remove the original oxidation. If it does, you could re-oxidize the brass with gun bluing or a similar chemical to re-touch the color...

I wanted to ask a question regarding a Columbia coin-op AS. Are the cabinet keys that lock the end of the glass cover universal or were they individually made? I have locks and keys for the front panel and the coin box, but only have the lock and no key for the single lock on the right side of the cover. Is it possible to find a key for these?

Curt
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Hey Sean,

I was under the impression that the 8-7 tone arm was originally nickel. I also have an 8-7, mine doesn’t look so hot either, but there are spots where it appears shiny. I could be completely wrong though.

Happy new year! I hope you’re doing well.

Greg