Playing Brown Wax Cylinders on a Model M or O reproducer

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Canuk Phonographs
Victor II

Playing Brown Wax Cylinders on a Model M or O reproducer

Post by Canuk Phonographs »

To my horror, Paul Doddington, a long time member of the Canadian Antique Phonograph Society played a brown wax cylinder on his Edison Triumph machine with a 2 & 4 min. Model O reproducer. Looking closely he showed me a simple technique for adding a counter balance to the switching arm of the O reproducer.

So I checked the stylus weight of a Standard Speaker (7 gm.), an Automatic reproducer (13 gm.) and a Model C reproducer (23 gm).
I used my Amberola A1 and Model M reproducer 2 minute stylus (I don't have a Triumph) and measured the weight at the reproducer stylus with the washer and alligator clip attachment shown in the photos. Sliding the washer along the alligator clip varied the stylus weight from 3 to 14 gm.

The larger diaphragm from the M reproducer produced an amazing clear sound. Knowing my weight limitations from 3 to 14 gm, I could slide the washer until I had good tracking, least surface noise and best sound without any damage to the cylinder.

If you have a Triumph, with an O reproducer better yet, because I don't have the speed variation to play the very early brown wax cylinders that were recorded at 120 or 144 rpm.

Easy, non invasive technique for playing a brown wax cylinder. Hope you try it and let me know.

Blain
Attachments
DSC07329.jpg
DSC07330.jpg

phonojim
Victor IV

Re: Playing Brown Wax Cylinders on a Model M or O reproducer

Post by phonojim »

Although this may work well for playing cylinders, I wouldn't recommend it from the point of view of the reproducer. Those selector rods are delicate and sometimes break off at the inner end. I have had this happeen to a couple of them over the years and they are difficult to repair. I wouldn't risk it. Also, there may be a concern over playing brown wax with a doorknob stylus rather than the rounded tip used on the Automatic and B reproducers.

Jim