C250/C19 Database Survey - Updated 3/21/2018

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Bcaste1
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Kansas City Edison C250 owner

Re: C250/C19 Database Survey - Updated 3/21/2018

Post by Bcaste1 »

Thanks, Fran. I have two sets of those index cards with only a few of the 1 to 50 missing. I am the second owner of the C250 and it was well kept. The finish is so good that I think it may have been refinished.
Say, my governor is noisy under a load. It is quiet with the turntable off. Does the forum have info on adjusting it?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Bcaste1 wrote:Thanks, Fran. I have two sets of those index cards with only a few of the 1 to 50 missing. I am the second owner of the C250 and it was well kept. The finish is so good that I think it may have been refinished.
Say, my governor is noisy under a load. It is quiet with the turntable off. Does the forum have info on adjusting it?
I would say that likely there is a bit too much play (backlash) between gears - although it could be other trouble - like excessive wear to parts (a bit unlikely, as these motors are pretty bullet-proof!). Your Chippendale really looks as if it was well taken care of, so I can't imagine anything is seriously wrong with the motor's moving parts.

An application of grease and/or oil to specific locations might cure the issue, beyond that, some adjustments might be necessary. These motors are a bit more complex than others of the period, and can be a little vexing to the uninitiated, but if you're mechanically inclined you should be able to work through the more common issues associated with the Edison Diamond Disc B-Type Mechanism. If servicing ANY part of the motor becomes necessary, ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE MOTOR IS WOUND DOWN COMPLETELY before removing the turntable, and placing your fingers near any potentially moving parts (like the governor).

Here's a link to a PDF version of the factory technician manual found in one of our sub-forums: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ?f=2&t=476

There are many good folks here that can give great advice if you find it necessary to proceed into the realm of adjusting bearings, etc. The entire mechanism would require removal from the cabinet if you need to proceed into the realm of motor parts (governor/gear train) adjustments.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Hi,

A couple of things. First, did I already send you data for my C-250? I just don't remember, and, lazy me, it's quicker to ask than to go hunt through the original thread.

Second, a refinished oak C-19 is on eBay with photos that would answer a goodly part of your set of questions (but not all). No rush, I think; it's a "buy it now" listing and the asking price is $4,295.00. Hey, but the seller is offering free pickup at his location--what a deal! (Note: if a C-19 can command that kind of money, I'll cheerfully sell my C-250 for the bargain price of $4,000 even!) Here's a link to the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-C19-Dia ... 0008.m2219

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

drh wrote:Hi,

A couple of things. First, did I already send you data for my C-250? I just don't remember, and, lazy me, it's quicker to ask than to go hunt through the original thread.
Howdy, I'd need the serial number of the machine in question.
drh wrote:Second, a refinished oak C-19 is on eBay with photos that would answer a goodly part of your set of questions (but not all). No rush, I think; it's a "buy it now" listing and the asking price is $4,295.00. Hey, but the seller is offering free pickup at his location--what a deal! (Note: if a C-19 can command that kind of money, I'll cheerfully sell my C-250 for the bargain price of $4,000 even!) Here's a link to the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-C19-Dia ... 0008.m2219
Yeah, that's been listed forever it seems; I entered its data into my spreadsheet on October 21, 2017. The price was the same then, too! :lol:

Best regards,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

For any not aware, if you'd like to know an estimate of when your Chippendale C250/19 was manufactured, the Antique Phonograph Society features a nifty guide, here: https://www.antiquephono.org/edison-c-2 ... -1925-pdf/

Best regards,
Fran

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Hi, again, I'm taking the works from my C-250 in for service tomorrow, so I took the opportunity to bring myself up to date about the survey. Yes, I did enter the machine already; it's SM-49137. Here is the further information requested since then:

No drip pans. (There is what I'd call a "splash shield" in front of the governor; it's black)

Continuous flat motor plate.

2-spring governor

gold plated hardware

two drawers, five compartments

door rod at bottom

Cabinet factory no.: 3

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

drh wrote:Hi, again, I'm taking the works from my C-250 in for service tomorrow, so I took the opportunity to bring myself up to date about the survey. Yes, I did enter the machine already; it's SM-49137. Here is the further information requested since then:

No drip pans. (There is what I'd call a "splash shield" in front of the governor; it's black)

Continuous flat motor plate.

2-spring governor

gold plated hardware

two drawers, five compartments

door rod at bottom

Cabinet factory no.: 3
Thank you David, I'll amend your entry to reflect these new features.

Happy New Year!

-Fran

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

1. What is the Model Designation? "C 19"

2. What is the Serial Number? "SM-170889

3. Which finish does the motor plate have?:

3D) "Black with NO pin striping".

4(A) Are there drip pans "NO”?

4(B) Does the top of the motor plate have a continuous flat surface, or is there a large concentric circular depression (located beneath the turntable) present? "Circular".

4(C) Does the governor (located beneath the turntable) "2 springs"
4(D) Which finish is on the reproducer, horn throat, and other hardware on the motor plate? “Gold plated”

5. Which "Official Laboratory Medallion" is present?

5D) "R-2" = Round emblem stating: “Diamond Disc Official Laboratory Model Thos A Edison”

6. Which form of record storage is present:

6C) 2 Shelves divided by individual record "slots"; AND: 1-36 top and 37-72 on the bottom strip?

7. Cabinet Wood Type: "Mahogany"

8. Is an "Electric Automatic Stop" (AKA Duncan Stop) present on the motor plate? No

9. Please list any dealer tags or decals present anywhere on the cabinet: The Yeager Store Inc. 22 North 7th st Allentown Pa. 511 Main st. Bethlehem Pa.

10. Are there any original dated sales receipts/shipping documentation, etc. with the machine? No

11. Is there Grille cloth present? AND: What is the Color? Yes washed out light brown?

12. Is the record storage door held open by a rod at the "center"

13. What is the "Cabinet Factory No." - (if present) as found on the sticker inside the horn compartment "18"

also has the 10-12 button
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you Gary. That's a pretty late C 19, if I may ask: is the grille one single piece of laminate, or is it laminate surrounded on the perimeter by a frame?

Thanks,
Fran

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

It is one single piece of laminate. I know this isn't where I post this but if anyone is interested I'm selling it for $200 w/70 records. pm me. Thanks
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat