Yes, Sir!, that's my junk shop find

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Yes, Sir!, that's my junk shop find

Post by kirtley2012 »

There's a junk shop I often go to, they sometimes have some cool things, it's where I got the tea chest that the gramophone sits on, and occasionally they have 78's, usually nothing much but every now and then they'll get a new lot, I went in have a look through and found a few good ones, this was probably my favorite, probably quite common but a good song, unfortunate needle digs on it but for about 40p, I won't complain
DSC02150.JPG
[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJGvD3TODWY[/youtubehd]

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Yes, Sir!, that's my junk shop find

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Thanks for sharing that record.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Nice find! Ace Brigode & his 14 Virginians on that side, Harry Reser's Syncopators on the other if I'm not mistaken.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Fun stuff.

This guy's EMG vids are something. Uncanny holographic quality on some of the records he plays with his setup, moreso perhaps on accoutical records than electric. Any gramophone in the world I want to own, it'd be his.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4qSUHfB2W0[/youtube]

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The guy who posts the Coon Sanders discs is a friend of mine, and we are both lucky enough to have EMG Mk IXs and a compliment of rebuilt reproducers. I believe he's also a member of this forum.

That said, if you've never heard one of these machines in person, be it an EMG or Expert, then you really have no idea just how impossible it is to capture an accurate "sound portrait" of one of these machines without special attention to microphones and such, my phone certainly doesn't do mine justice at all.

Sean

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

I think the person who has the video of the Coon Sanders record also posted a video of the Clarence Williams Blue Five OKEH of Mandy Make Up Your Mind. The Saroussaphone sounds fantastic.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

howardpgh wrote:I think the person who has the video of the Coon Sanders record also posted a video of the Clarence Williams Blue Five OKEH of Mandy Make Up Your Mind. The Saroussaphone sounds fantastic.
He posts a new video every day. I wish I had that kind of time, he's also got a camera and high end mic setup I believe. One day when I have nothing better to do, I'll try setting all my stuff up and experiment. I've never even used the video editing software built into my iMac. Such is life.

Sean

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

OrthoSean wrote:high end mic setup

Sean
It sounds like a stereo mic setup in the Coon Sanders vid, which seems to be rare thing when anyone records a video of their machine.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

He does get a good sound, nice room reverb, I do use an external microphone, but the room is very dead, no acoustic properties at all which doesn't help with things

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I have been told that the best way to capture sound from a machine like an EMG or Expert is to use two mics and mix them after. I just don't have that kind of time at all, such is life.

Sean