Featured Phonograph № 58

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Featured Phonograph № 58

Post by Valecnik »

Make: Edison
Model: A250
Serial # SM 12887
Year(s) Made: Late 1912 - 1914
Original Cost: $250
Case/Cabinet Size: 51 ½" high x 21 ½" wide x 23" deep
Turntable/Mandrel: 12"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Edison Standard Disc
Motor: Double Spring A250
Horn Dimensions: 17 ½" x 12"
Reproduction Parts: none
Current Value: $600 - $800?
Interesting Facts: This one must have been very late in the line with such a high serial number and later record filing system.
Favorite Characteristics: Has all but 1 of the file cards, very good original condition. Serial number stamped on bedplate 12887-A1, and on paper tag underneath the horn in front. Dealer's decal underneath the lid. Looks like it's had very little use, repair or maintenance. After 90 plus years it ran perfectly on first winding after I acquired it. I've only oiled it.
Attachments
IMG_6207.JPG
IMG_6210.JPG
IMG_6211.JPG
IMG_6216.JPG
IMG_6205.JPG
IMG_6219.JPG
IMG_6226.JPG
IMG_6225.JPG
IMG_6223.JPG
IMG_6198.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Pics of a few more details:
Attachments
I was fortunate enough to get the reproducer box and key with it too.
I was fortunate enough to get the reproducer box and key with it too.
250 Bedplate (2).JPG
250 Horn.JPG
250 Motor.JPG
250 Carved Paw.JPG
IMG_6203.JPG
IMG_6199.JPG
Last edited by Valecnik on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Very nice, Bruce! Those big A-series Disc Phonographs exude class, don't they? Interesting carving on the front feet, too. Is there a Cabinet Factory number tag inside?

Thanks for showing this machine - -

George P.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Valecnik wrote:Make: Edison
Model: A250
Serial # SM 12887
Year(s) Made: Late 1912 - 1914
Original Cost: $250
Case/Cabinet Size: 51 ½" high x 21 ½" wide x 23" deep
Turntable/Mandrel: 12"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Edison Standard Disc
Motor: Double Spring A250
Horn Dimensions: 17 ½" x 12"
Reproduction Parts: none
Current Value: $600 - $800?
Interesting Facts: This one must have been very late in the line with such a high serial number and later record filing system.
Favorite Characteristics: Has all but 1 of the file cards, very good original condition. Serial number stamped on bedplate 12887-A1, and on paper tag underneath the horn in front. Dealer's decal underneath the lid. Looks like it's had very little use, repair or maintenance. After 90 plus years it ran perfectly on first winding after I acquired it. I've only oiled it.
Wow, I see from the dealer label in the photos that this was originally sold right here in my own home town of La Crosse, WI!

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Hi George,

Yes they certainly do exude class, to me anyway and as you note the carving on the feet is somewhat different, more pronounced and less knurled than I've seen on other A250s.

In the very last picture of my second posting you can see in the lower left inside back of the machine a paper tag that says, "Edison Cabinet Factory No. 3". If you blow the picture up to full size you can see it.

You can also see "1286" stamped into the wood of the bottom of the cabinet in the back behind the horn in the same picture. Not sure what that means. Any ideas?

The serial number, "SM 12887" is stamped on the metal Tag. "12887-A1" is stamped on the bedplate and "12887" is typed on a piece of thick oily piece of heavy paper or cardboard in the bottom front underneath the horn, to dark to be visible in the picture.
Tinkerbell wrote: Wow, I see from the dealer label in the photos that this was originally sold right here in my own home town of La Crosse, WI!
Yes a collector in St. Paul MN got it from the estate of the original purchaser who bought it from a Lacrosse Edison Dealer. I got it from him.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The collector in me always wants the wood and finish that's the most unusual but there is something truly elegant in a fine original mahogany finish. Thanks for sharing. Jerry Blais

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Ohh Valenik, you have no idea how my heart yearns for an A250 and this one is lovely. One question: does the horn in this one come apart at the elbow like a Cygnet horn? I know the earliest A 250's did, and I wondered how long they used that type of horn .

Jim

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Ooops - I failed to blow up that last photo - NOW I see that Cabinet Factory number! Sure wish I knew which company "No. 3" signified. Someday a list will surface at West Orange... As for the "1826", it's a mystery to me. I suspect it was for internal use at the cabinet factory. I also see that the license sticker is dated August 1914 - - late indeed for an A-250. Again, nice machine - -

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:Ooops - I failed to blow up that last photo - NOW I see that Cabinet Factory number! Sure wish I knew which company "No. 3" signified. Someday a list will surface at West Orange... As for the "1826", it's a mystery to me. I suspect it was for internal use at the cabinet factory. I also see that the license sticker is dated August 1914 - - late indeed for an A-250. Again, nice machine - -

George P.
Thanks George. I did not notice the Aug 1914 license sticker. That would indeed confirm it's very late for an A250.
Lenoirstreetguy wrote:Ohh Valenik, you have no idea how my heart yearns for an A250 and this one is lovely. One question: does the horn in this one come apart at the elbow like a Cygnet horn? I know the earliest A 250's did, and I wondered how long they used that type of horn .

Jim
Jim, it still has the two piece cygnet style horn, mounts on two pegs on the bottom and a third peg on the top is held in place by a clip, cygnet style, a real bugger to get back together too. It was separated when I got it.
Jerry B. wrote:The collector in me always wants the wood and finish that's the most unusual but there is something truly elegant in a fine original mahogany finish. Thanks for sharing. Jerry Blais
I agree with you on the mahogany. Thanks!

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Beautiful machine Bruce! That model is definitely near the top of my "most wanted" list.
:)