Triton Motor Disassembly

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Triton Motor Disassembly

Post by Lucius1958 »

I have been preparing to disassemble the motor from my Triumph for cleaning (and to get the spring barrels off and have them serviced), and I could use a few tips.

What's the best way to get the bearings out? I have removed the set screws, and have been dousing them with PB Blaster, but they don't seem to want to budge.

Also, there appear to have been rubber insulators on the motor frame (at least, that's what I think that gunk was, that I scraped out of the holes); what's a good source for those?

Bill

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Triton Motor Disassembly

Post by Lucius1958 »

No response? Is there no-one here who has tackled a Triumph motor? :shock:

Is there perhaps a shelf life for PB Blaster? I found a can of it lying next to my car a few weeks ago; would one from the hardware store do better?

Bill

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

It's been 8 or 9 years since I had to work on a Triton motor, so I was hoping someone else would chime in.

To the best of my memory, if you've completely removed the set screws, the shaft should tap out. I don't recall any set screws on the winding gears. There should be no shelf life to PB Blaster.

I recall no rubber mounts in the motor. A Model A like yours might have them between the upper casting and bedplate, but I don't remember any in the motor. An owner might have added them in an attempt to lessen motor noise. If you wanted replacements, neoprene washers from a hardware store might work.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I don't remember anything tricky about disassembling those motors. (I had to replace a mainspring...the inner one, of course!) The governor/limit pad is the fussiest part of those motors.

Good luck!

George P.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I know my limitations, so if the Triton motor in my Model A ever needs work I will entrust it to a professional.

According to Frow, coiled springs replaced the rubber washers holding the motor frame to the top plate from June 1904.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

epigramophone wrote: According to Frow, coiled springs replaced the rubber washers holding the motor frame to the top plate from June 1904.
Thanks for that! I replaced the mainspring of my 1907 Model B in 2001, and another Model B in 2009-2010, so I never messed with those rubber washers. Makes me feel a little better about my memory.

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Thanks for the info so far. I will continue trying with the PB Blaster and judicious whacking, until either I get it apart, or until I confess defeat and send the whole motor out for maintenance.

BTW, I'm having much the same issues with the upper works as well. I really need to get them apart, so I can a.) replace the pinstriping, and b.) go over the gearing in the upper pulley.

Bill

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Lucius1958 wrote:I'm having much the same issues with the upper works as well. I really need to get them apart, so I can a.) replace the pinstriping, and b.) go over the gearing in the upper pulley.

Bill
The upper works should be easy to remove. Just remove the belt and the speed control (by unscrewing counter-clockwise), then remove the two bolts that hold it to the bed plate.

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

phonogfp wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:I'm having much the same issues with the upper works as well. I really need to get them apart, so I can a.) replace the pinstriping, and b.) go over the gearing in the upper pulley.

Bill
The upper works should be easy to remove. Just remove the belt and the speed control (by unscrewing counter-clockwise), then remove the two bolts that hold it to the bed plate.

George P.
I've already removed it from the bedplate. What I need is to disassemble it.

I've managed to remove the major set screws on the carriage and mandrel shafts, the bearing on the endgate (that took quite a bit of work), and the tiny screw on the upper pulley (haven't got the pin out yet, though).

In order to drive out the carriage shaft, I need to remove the endgate: that is being very stubborn. The screws holding the feed screw in place are also fighting me tooth and claw. I remember I didn't have this much trouble on my Home.

If I could get PB Blaster in a bucket, I would chuck the whole assembly in to soak for a week or two; in default of that, I'll have to keep spraying, whacking, and struggling with screwdrivers until something comes loose.

Bill

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

If it does not bodge at all, drop it in a bucket of diesel over night.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Wow - sounds like the machine was treated to repeated treatments of Three-In-One oil, and it turned to varnish. A propane torch might be your best bet, and it really can't do any harm to those parts.

George P.