Frustrated With Felt! Please Help!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Dave D
Victor IV

Frustrated With Felt! Please Help!

Post by Dave D »

I have a turntable that is similar to the Columbia type that is full of holes. There is supposed to be a thin cardboard under the felt to cover those holes and allow for smooth looking felt. I have tried twice to glue some down using Elmer's glue, but it come out bumpy. Does anyone have a good tip on how to do this? I was thinking of clamping it between two pieces of plywood while the glue dries, but I am hoping someone has a better and easier idea. I wonder about spray glue?
Dave D

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Frustrated With Felt! Please Help!

Post by melvind »

I use Elmer's spray on glue. It eliminates the bump problem.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive works great...
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Multipurpo ... B0131SZ660
Attachments
61vbFnnd1XL._SL1000_.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Dave,

I use Eileen's Tacky Glue, found at JoAnns Fabrics, or similar craft stores. It's a white glue that looks like Elmers. Put it on the turn table, then spread it thinly and evenly with a putty knife. The nice thing about Tacky Glue, is that it will NOT saturate through the felt like some other glues, such as Elmers.

After placing the felt on the turn table, I would lay the TT face down on your wife's finest coffee table, or other similarly flat surface, until dry.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Curt A wrote:3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive works great...
That's what I use too, its strong and long lasting.

Place masking tape around the rim of the platter and spray the platter. If you need a thin card stock, I'd use solid black. Be sure to use oversized materials and trim afterwards. Lay the card stock on a hard flat surface and press the platter to it. Repeat for the felt. Take your time trimming it with fresh razor blades. Use short repetitive cuts on a hard surface such as glass or masonite. Replace razor as needed.

James
Last edited by Roaring20s on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

Yep.
3M 77
Glue sprays on nice and even.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

3M 77 Bill K

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Well, I used Jerry Van's method of using tacky glue. This turntable has a felt that does not quite reach the edge of it, so I decided I would not have as much control with the spray.

I chose to deviate from putting the turntable on a coffee table and chose instead to place it on my table saw. This was done in the interest of my own good health.

Dave D

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Did it work out o.k. for you Dave?

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Dave D wrote:Well, I used Jerry Van's method of using tacky glue. This turntable has a felt that does not quite reach the edge of it, so I decided I would not have as much control with the spray. Dave D
Though you have completed the task, I just wanted to add to the tread for this situation using spray glue. Also in this situation, the platter will remain on the phonograph, because the spindle is needed.

To control the placement of a felt that has is shy of the edge, start by cutting the thin black card stock to the needed diameter with a spindle hole. Do not make the spindle hole to snug. Spray the card stock and place that on oversized felt. Now trim the felt and open up the spindle hole. Spray the card stock side, and with a slight u-shaped bend, place it on the spindle. Let the lowest part of the u-shape card stock touch the platter, and lay the rest down. Gently burnish it for best adhesion.

James.