Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Nipper is holding his own at auction...

Post by Curt A »

https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctio ... ll-1259307

Francis Barraud original signed oil: Estimate: $3,000-$5,000, SOLD FOR:$60,325
Francis Barraud (1856-1924),
oil on canvas,
"His Master's Voice", "Nipper",
Trademark Edison Phonograph painting, originally titled "Dog Looking and Listening to a Phonograph",
relined,
28" x 36"

Provenance:
From an estate in Lloyd Harbor, Long Island, New York
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 8.34.05 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Cody K
Victor III

Re: Nipper is holding his own at auction...

Post by Cody K »

Huh. As one of the most iconic images of the 20th century, I'd have thought it would be valued much higher than that. I seem to recall reading somewhere, though, that Barraud painted a few versions, including perhaps copies of his own work? Maybe there are more genuine Barraud copies out there than I think? The price seems low to me.
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

TAP
Victor Jr

Post by TAP »

Barraud's original painting was done in 1898-99. That is in the EMI offices. From 1913-24 he painted 37 or 38 copies. This was one of those. Information is from the Rolfs' Nipper book, volume I. I have not been able to find any of these copies having been sold at auction before.

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

Is it only me or does Nipper seem bigger here?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

TAP wrote:Barraud's original painting was done in 1898-99. That is in the EMI offices. From 1913-24 he painted 37 or 38 copies. This was one of those. Information is from the Rolfs' Nipper book, volume I. I have not been able to find any of these copies having been sold at auction before.
"The Collectors Guide to HMV Nipper Souvenirs" (EMI Group Archive Trust 1997) states that :

A Barraud copy of unknown date sold for $1200 at Christie's New York in 1984 to a Mr Edward Kigler.

Another copy sold at Dargate Auction Galleries, Pittsburgh (Lot 1659) in 1995 to HMV Shops Ltd and returned to the UK. What will happen to it now that the HMV Shops business is in Administration?

At the time the Guide was published, at least 14 Barraud copies were unaccounted for. Even more of the copies by other artists, 12 by C.H.Thompson and an unknown number by Edmond Dyer, had vanished without trace.

In some ways this is good news, as there are several potentially valuable paintings out there waiting to be rediscovered.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The late Ed Linotti of Grass Valley, California had an original Barraud, as well.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan