A 'solid brass' Victrola Gramophone / Phonograph

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Raphael
Victor IV

Re: A 'solid brass' Victrola Gramophone / Phonograph

Post by Raphael »

Actually, the bottom and rear are wood. The rest appears to be solid brass. There are also (4) Indian-head and (12) Lincoln pennies decoratively embedded in several places, with dates ranging from 1904 to 1920.

The limited information I have about this piece came from Steve Stanton, I may query him further as he surely remembers it.

Raphael

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

JerryVan wrote:
OrthoFan wrote:
Uncle Vanya wrote:I was lucky enough to have had the privilege of examining this machine some years ago (before it was purchased by its current owner) and can say that the photographs, good as they are, in no way do it justice.

This machine is a really fine piece of work with an incredible visual presence. The restoration job is superb. The cabinet of this machine is built up in the same manner as the bronze Bank furniture of the 1920s.

I suspect (this is purely conjecture) that this machine may have originally borne a Statuary Bronze finish, at which time it might have more readily blended into a scheme of conventional interior decoration.

The machine as it stands now is a show piece, a jewel which draws every eye, and would doubtless become the centerpiece of any collection.
I guess that "back story" means that is what the party who initially sold it to Raphael told him?

I'm wondering when, exactly, it might have been produced. The cabinet, as you know, emulates the style of the Victrola "humpback" models from the early to mid-1920s, yet the tonearm is culled from a Victor (post-1925) Orthophonic model, as is the sound box. It's also interesting that it was fitted with a pre-Victrola era flower horn. If it does date from the early to mid-1920s, then some of the components, such as the tonearm and sound box, must have been replaced during the restoration.

Since you did an onsite inspection, I'm also wondering if you could confirm if it is constructed out of brass or brass plated metal panels affixed to a metal or wooden frame, or if everything is solid brass. If so, it must weight a ton!

OrthoFan
I suspect that Uncle Vanya saw this at the Stanton auction, where it was sold to its current owner. I saw it there myself. My impression was that it is made, (very expertly), out of sheet brass, and not brass-over-wood, as suggested. Again, my take away was that it is solid brass, not plated. It really is beautifully done. If the style is not to one's particular liking, it's no slight on the machine, (or its current owner), just a commentary on the variability of people's tastes and likes.

Yes, I did see this unusual machine at Stanton's. I did not mention the venue since I did not believe it my place to reveal where the current owner acquired it.

My grandfather was a designer of bronze building hardware and furniture in the late 1920's and early 1930s, so at the time that this unusual machine came up for sale I was motivated to examine it minutely. It is very well built. I would think that the Orthophonic tone arm may be original, for the proportions of the horn echo those of the small Orthophonic, when one accounts for the horn's shape

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Uncle Vanya wrote: ........My grandfather was a designer of bronze building hardware and furniture in the late 1920's and early 1930s, so at the time that this unusual machine came up for sale I was motivated to examine it minutely. It is very well built. I would think that the Orthophonic tone arm may be original, for the proportions of the horn echo those of the small Orthophonic, when one accounts for the horn's shape.
Many thanks for the information! I wonder how it would sound playing a good electrical recording. I would guess the output would be similar to a Consolette/Colony/early Granada; perhaps brighter.

Raphael: Thanks for the information about the pennies!

OrthoFan