Multi-Colored, Splattered-Shellac 78rpm Records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Pathe Logical
Victor II

Multi-Colored, Splattered-Shellac 78rpm Records

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi all you collectors of oddball records,

A few months ago, I put a post (see : http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=37824 ) regarding these records in the "Yankee Trader" section of this forum.

Although I meant to at that time, I forgot about posting the pictures in the "Music" section here to get a discussion going about discs like these (one pic from my previous Yankee Trader post is shown below --- see the link above for others photos). Well, today I finally remembered to address my oversight.

I find these records fascinating, and would really like to see other examples or varieties. Does anyone have any other different/similar records to show the rest of us here?

I look forward to seeing what else is out there in your collections,
Bob
Attachments
Broadway, Brunswick, Claxtonola, Famous, and Paramount. See the link provided in the text above for pictures of other records.
Broadway, Brunswick, Claxtonola, Famous, and Paramount. See the link provided in the text above for pictures of other records.

donniej
Victor III

Re: Multi-Colored, Splattered-Shellac 78rpm Records

Post by donniej »

Attached are a few of the more fun DD's I've made. I don't know why they're all sample records :?:
Attachments
IMG_6407.PNG
IMG_6406.PNG
IMG_6405.PNG

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Nice samples shown. I have a few Pathé Actuelles and one other brand that have such looks but the ones shown out shine any I have. Nice! Neil

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Another great work of Don's...
Attachments
20181028_224955.jpg
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I found this thread to be very confusing. I don't get if any, or which, of these records are vintage originals, and which (if any) are replicas.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:I found this thread to be very confusing. I don't get if any, or which, of these records are vintage originals, and which (if any) are replicas.
The Edisons are all modern, and made of resin. All the others are vintage.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi Marco,

As estott stated, all of the records pictured in my original post are indeed vintage pieces! The images submitted by others of the fantasy/reproduction Edison discs (recently manufactured by Don Wilson) are newly made (2018?). My OP was meant to ferret out other examples of original/vintage records only, but I did enjoy seeing some of Don's creations.

I will go back to this OP, and the corresponding one in the Yankee Trader, and try to add approximate dates/years to the captions for each picture.

Thanks,
Bob

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Wow those are some COOL records.

Does anyone know how many Pathé discs were made like this? I have 3 different ones
Attachments
458FFB9B-E6F9-49A2-92C2-411C35DBED92.jpeg

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

20200514_141619.jpg
I bought this from John Tefteller some years ago. The back story was that the New York Recording Laboratories (owners of the Paramount, Puritan. Broadway, and other labels) gave these to emplyees of the pressing plant in Grafton to take home to their families as novelties. They were never sold to the public, and are very hard to find. Nice collection.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi ChesterCheetah18,

Thanks for posting your Puritan and adding to this thread! I hate to admit this to you --- If that's the one John sold on eBay about 5+/- years ago, I was backup bidder on that Puritan of yours! If that's the case, sorry for running you up!!! Glad you're enjoying it!

Since I last commented in this thread, I've found another Paramount (see pics below).

Does anyone else have an original, vintage, colored-shellac record to share?

Thanks again,
Bob
Attachments
DSCN2410.JPG
DSCN2406.JPG