Which Victrola model is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Which Victrola model is this?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

OrthoSean wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:Apparently the person who offered the $550 was an “antique dealer” in a nearby town.
I've been around enough antique dealers for the last 40+ years to say rather safely that a "higher offer" than this seller's asking price is nothing more than a BS story by the seller. An antique dealer is just that, a dealer. They're looking to maximize profits, think about this for a second. Let's say you had a car for sale privately but advertised. You have a listed price in mind of say $6500 for your used but not abused Toyota knowing it books a little higher. What do you think your chances of a buyer coming along and telling you they want to pay you blue book value because they're a dealer? That's what I thought. Sorry, Andy, your seller is full of it...

Sean
The antique dealer hasn’t bought it so I may still have a chance of getting it. I’m supposed to meet with the seller in a couple of days so hopefully no funny business happens between now and then. :?

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

For the record, no one "ascertained" that the Craig's List seller of this machine read this Forum and decided to up the price. Or for that matter that someone who reads this forum decided to scoop the original poster. These are possibilities, and nothing more than that was ever claimed.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Apparently the person who offered the $550 was an “antique dealer” in a nearby town.
Sure. And I've got some nice beachfront property in Nebraska to sell that same guy....

$550 is a tad high for this machine in my opinion. Plus, I've never met an antique dealer who paid top dollar for anything. Most get their inventory from estate cleanouts.

Honestly, even if I heard back from this seller, I wouldn't deal with him. He seems like the kind who would raise the price when you show up and seem interested. If somebody does that to me, I walk.

There's a nicer machine out there with your name on it with a seller who isn't a schmuck. You just have to be watching for it and be ready.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

zenith82 wrote:
Sure. And I've got some nice beachfront property in Nebraska to sell that same guy....

$550 is a tad high for this machine in my opinion. Plus, I've never met an antique dealer who paid top dollar for anything. Most get their inventory from estate cleanouts.

Honestly, even if I heard back from this seller, I wouldn't deal with him. He seems like the kind who would raise the price when you show up and seem interested. If somebody does that to me, I walk.

There's a nicer machine out there with your name on it with a seller who isn't a schmuck. You just have to be watching for it and be ready.
We’ll see what happens. $550 is only what the antique dealer offered. Not the seller. Ironically, I am in Nebraska and the seller happens to live in one of those man made lake neighborhoods lol! :lol:

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Also. The amount of XVI’s you may see Is probably the amount of XI’s I ever see. I am quite limited on where I can find things and I have to rely on others to drive me places because I don’t drive due to anxiety. And I don’t live in a big metropolitan area either, so I pretty much take what little I can get around here or eBay.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Go see it. Look at it carefully and assure it’s correct and working. If it is...

Offer them the original asking price. If they don’t accept it, walk away.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

I'd surely pass on it after reading all this. I had a perfect VV-111 and tried to sell it for a long time. Finally got a buyer at $285. Felt that I should have got more due to its rarity compared to a VV-XVI for an example, but in the end, it's really not that much different and its price ended up the same.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:I'd surely pass on it after reading all this. I had a perfect VV-111 and tried to sell it for a long time. Finally got a buyer at $285. Felt that I should have got more due to its rarity compared to a VV-XVI for an example, but in the end, it's really not that much different and its price ended up the same.
Too bad you don’t live near me. (I’m probably the only person from around here that even posts here.) I would have bought it in a New York second! Besides the reason I want this is not because of rarity it’s because it’s a machine finally close enough to me that would be an upgrade to my VV-XI. Bigger horn, stronger motor, etc.

Oh and BTW: I paid more for my VV 8-4 and I still had to do a lot to get it working as good as It is. ;)

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok folks, I got it! Will make separate thread later. And I did not pay $550. And yes it’s a VV-111 thanks everybody!

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

Glad to hear it worked out.