Can anyone identify this machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Can anyone identify this machine?

Post by Mormon S »

This is for sale very close to me and I dont have a clue what it is. There is no logo on the front, and there is a strange knob on the front panel. It's quite a bland looking machine, but it may look better in a different setting. They said "email for price" (Which gets on my nerves). Any know what it is?
Attachments
Screenshot_20190110-001204_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg
Screenshot_20190110-001207_CPlus for Craigslist.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Can anyone identify this machine?

Post by gramophone-georg »

Looks like a Frankenphone from my house, unless it's some weird Columbia client I've never seen before. Crank and escutcheon look like Grafonola but the speed control looks Victor- ish or European. Backbracket, arm, reproducer, horn, elbow look Columbia. Base looks like it's off a tabletop Graf.

Harv will know!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

gramophone-georg wrote:Looks like a Frankenphone from my house, unless it's some weird Columbia client I've never seen before. Crank and escutcheon look like Grafonola but the speed control looks Victor- ish or European. Backbracket, arm, reproducer, horn, elbow look Columbia. Base looks like it's off a tabletop Graf.

Harv will know!
Darn. Well, whoever out it together did a pretty good job. It probably sounds decent as well.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Mormon S wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Looks like a Frankenphone from my house, unless it's some weird Columbia client I've never seen before. Crank and escutcheon look like Grafonola but the speed control looks Victor- ish or European. Backbracket, arm, reproducer, horn, elbow look Columbia. Base looks like it's off a tabletop Graf.

Harv will know!
Darn. Well, whoever out it together did a pretty good job. It probably sounds decent as well.
I may be wrong. It's happened, believe it or not! :lol:
PM Phonofreak and ask him for his opinion.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The "strange knob on the front panel" is commonly found on European machines. It operates a spring loaded catch, releasing the motor board to hinge open for inspection.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Looks like a Columbia BN to me. Jerry B.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Looks to me like a mixture of parts. Beside the unusual speed control and Victor-like turntable, the horn is a later horn, from a 1908 BN, the tone-arm appears to be from an earlier version, the case looks like the 1908 version, the crank does not look like the correct crank, possibly from a Victrola. Below is an early BN.

I hope this is helpful.
Attachments
IMG_4501.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Sorry guys for being late chiming in on this. This is not a franken-phone or a Hodgepodge machine. This is an original, correct Columbia BN, circa 1908-09. This machine used a carry over, from the earlier one, with the aluminum tone arm and analyzing reproducer. This machine was made from left over parts from the earlier machines. As what I have said before,it's what Columbia had at the factory that day. The knob in the front is a push knob to open the case like an early Victor. The decal is worn off the case and the horn needs to be repainted. These horns were black, red, or blue with gold stripes. The decal should have a Columbia Disc Graphophone on the side where the crank is, and the profile decal in the front of the case. if you can get this cheap, then go for it. But then again, I am very partial to Columbia nd Client machines.
Harvey Kravitz

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thanks for the clarification.

Why, though, did it have the large speed dial like an early Victor? I never saw a Columbia phonograph with that kind of speed controls.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Any chance of seeing a picture of the motor?