Regional Marketing and Sales of Victor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Damfino59
Victor II

Re: Regional Marketing and Sales of Victor

Post by Damfino59 »

Victrolacollector wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Victor Machines seem to show up more on the East coast such as New York, New Jersey and the New England states? It seems that independent companies dominated the market in the Midwest . Most of the machines sold in the Midwest were made by companies in Chicago and small cities and towns in Illinois and Iowa and Michigan.
This past weekend I was in the St. Louis area visiting fellow phonograph collector friends. From my survey of a Victor products in their collections everything from the larger uprights to large orthophonics were well represented. All purchased locally.

In Chicago Lyon & Healy were a large Victor distribution center for many smaller dealers in the state of Illinois. Also there was another distributor in Peoria Illinois supplying the southern part of the state. This I’ve sourced from personal observations and reading back issues of The Talking Machine World.

The larger the metropolitan area the more higher end Victrolas were sold. Chicago vs Rockford IL. Rockford IL more Victrola X and XI’s.

Just from my personal observations in the Midwest . Again your mileage will vary where you live :)

Glenn

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I think where I live in Nebraska, (near Omaha) was more Edison country. I see more C-19s and C-250s (but never any A-250s or any pre 1915 DD machine for that matter. Or any of the Edisonics.) on Craigslist Than any Victor above a XIV.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Explains why I have a harder time finding machines I want here in Nebraska. :lol:
I would look harder in the cities, especially Omaha and Lincoln. I have seen some very nice Edisons, including Amberola I-As and also B-375s, come from Omaha.

Best,

Garret

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

Garret wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:Explains why I have a harder time finding machines I want here in Nebraska. :lol:
I would look harder in the cities, especially Omaha and Lincoln. I have seen some very nice Edisons, including Amberola I-As and also B-375s, come from Omaha.

Best,

Garret
Some times things go the other way.
I live twenty miles from NYC and drove to Minn. to buy an electric XVIII that had a 5th ave nyc dealer tag on it!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Garret wrote:

Best,

Garret
I think the problem is that the good items in my area are probably near downtown Omaha or Lincoln and nobody is willing to take me there. And I myself don’t drive because driving makes me extremely anxious. :?

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

AmberolaAndy wrote: I think the problem is that the good items in my area are probably near downtown Omaha or Lincoln and nobody is willing to take me there. And I myself don’t drive because driving makes me extremely anxious. :?
You aren't likely to find many machines in downtown business districts, but rather in the older residential areas. I've had decent luck at estate sales in established neighborhoods where the houses date to the 1920s and earlier. Many times these houses stay in the same family for several generations.

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

zenith82 wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote: I think the problem is that the good items in my area are probably near downtown Omaha or Lincoln and nobody is willing to take me there. And I myself don’t drive because driving makes me extremely anxious. :?
You aren't likely to find many machines in downtown business districts, but rather in the older residential areas. I've had decent luck at estate sales in established neighborhoods where the houses date to the 1920s and earlier. Many times these houses stay in the same family for several generations.
My own experience backs this up completely !!
Outskirts of Philadelphia,the Bronx,Newburgh NY, Westchester county (Yonkers) Paterson NJ (!) are all great places to find these ...all are on the periphery.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Take Magnola for instance, a Chicago brand that shows up in Chicago and the suburbs.

Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Post by Jonsheff »

I live in Conneticut around 15 minuter from Hartford, 2 hours from NYC and Boston and 1. Hour from Providence RI. And 2 hours from NH. I am in a prime location for picking up Victrolas. I have picked up from all those locations over the years. Most people dont ship so pickup is the only way. NY seems to have the higher end machines.