$250 Victrola XVII If you don't mind refinishing it.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
EarlH
Victor III

$250 Victrola XVII If you don't mind refinishing it.

Post by EarlH »

Attachments
00202_fIsDweLoWf3_1200x900.jpg

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Re: $250 Victrola XVII If you don't mind refinishing it.

Post by Indestructible »

The things people do ...
Someone should save it. I wish I could.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

It shouldn't be too hard to restore. At least the insides and lid wasn't painted. Then the decal would have to be replaced. Someone will get a good deal on this.
Harvey Kravitz

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I bought that yellow L-door Victrola a few years ago and back in the 1960's they went to the trouble of stripping the finish before they got after it with yellow oil paint. I ended up giving that black lacquer after I got as much of the yellow paint off that I could. It was really down in the grain. This one shouldn't have that trouble. It looks like latex paint too, and that comes off pretty easily.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I wish this were local! I love these machines and I'm sure this could be fixed.

cweastlick
Victor II

Post by cweastlick »

My brother picked it up today for me. He said the left side veneer is missing but the rest of it is in good shape. He says it is walnut. So, when I drive up to PA next time I'll bring it home and get started on it. Any thoughts on what to do about the veneer?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Congratulations on your purchase. A XVII is an elegant machine in any wood. I hope I'm wrong but the photos sure look like mahogany. If I were starting such a project I would correspond with Matrix (Matt B.) on the Forum. I bet he could point you in the right direction for some good veneer. Jerry Blais

cweastlick
Victor II

Post by cweastlick »

It is still in the back of my brother's Tahoe. He said he'll take a closer look at it tomorrow (Thursday). The elderly couple that had it wound it up and played it for him! But, thanks, Jerry!! Good to know there are these types of resources out there. I welcome the feedback and ideas!

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Jerry B. wrote:Congratulations on your purchase. A XVII is an elegant machine in any wood. I hope I'm wrong but the photos sure look like mahogany. If I were starting such a project I would correspond with Matrix (Matt B.) on the Forum. I bet he could point you in the right direction for some good veneer. Jerry Blais

Bob Morgan veneer was recommended to me years ago by a forum member. I've purchased book matched walnut veneer from them and it looks great on the VV-130 lid. I also purchased mahogany veneer for an XVIII from them that turned out well.

Good Luck!

Matt

http://www.veneer-factory-outlet.com/

cweastlick
Victor II

Post by cweastlick »

I finally have the XVII, that was painted light blue, all stripped down. However, it is missing two pieces of bottom trim. Does anyone out there have the curved bottom trim for the left side and the flat bottom trim for the back? I'm pretty sure the trim from a VV-130 is the same