Just Purchased Edison Opera Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Re: Just Purchased Edison Opera Phonograph

Post by 52089 »

7309 wrote:Thanks George and Doug for your thoughts on the bedplate. I will keep it and polish it as best as I can. Preservation seems the way to go. I just found out I'm missing the auto stop mechanism. Boy, it keeps adding up. I've got to figure out how to get that darn reproducer loose. It is really stuck in there.
Did you try regular oil or penetrating oil? You need penetrating oil like "Liquid Wrench", PB Blaster, or similar. That should do the trick. I will note that penetrating oil is kind of smelly, so use in a well-ventilated area.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Now from us know nothings. Wow a nice machine. I have seen pictures of them online and my mouth waters sort of speak. I do wish you luck. Oh to have such a machine. I think you are the lucky winner on EBay. Lots of us wish it were us. I can give no technical advice only have fun with it and show us your progress. I need to know how it's all done. Congratulations on this one. Lucky you. Neil

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

7309 wrote:Thanks George and Doug for your thoughts on the bedplate. I will keep it and polish it as best as I can. Preservation seems the way to go. I just found out I'm missing the auto stop mechanism. Boy, it keeps adding up. I've got to figure out how to get that darn reproducer loose. It is really stuck in there.
You're very welcome. I sure hope that someone in the past didn't put some adhesive on the reproducer throat before installing it in the stanchion. Years ago I knew of an antique dealer who used to put a little glue (oh noooo!) on the reproducers that were installed in the phonographs in his shop as a loss prevention measure. :x Pity the poor customer who wanted to remove their reproducer after purchase. Try the penetrating oil as suggested by Kevin (above). PB Blaster works pretty well but don't use it in the house or your wife will have a fit. It will smell up the area for a long time. Believe me, I know from experience. :cry:

I may get some flack on this but (as a last resort) if you get to a point where you're ready to pull your hair out and no matter what you try the reproducer simply won't budge you can consider removing the stanchion screws that secure the stanchion to the bed plate (and the linkage under the bed plate). This will at least allow you to access and rebuild the reproducer. It will be awkward handling the reproducer while it's inside the stanchion but at least you'll be able to see it, work on it (examine the stylus, rebuild with new gaskets, etc.). When you're done reinstall the stanchion and I think you should be good to go. ;) Another possible option if you just can't get it out is to remove the stanchion screws and send the stanchion assembly with the stuck reproducer to Steve Medved in Fla (assuming he still rebuilds Edison reproducers). He's the best there is at rebuilding Edison reproducers IMO and is very reasonable. Steve has also been successful in removing some really stuck reproducers (from carriages). Last I knew Steve was super busy so you'll have a wait but he would know his schedule when you ask him if you go that route. Your best option though if after all of your attempts fail at removing the reproducer are futile and you don't want to send it out would be to remove the stanchion. Just my own thoughts to try to help you out. :)

Doug

Victor O

Post by 7309 »

Thanks for the information Doug. I have been using Liquid Wrench on it. Tried it for two days now. It still won't budge. I'll keep it up for a while. Am also using some heat from a hair dryer on it periodically. The bolts on the stanchion are loose. They were really tight but I got them loose. If I can't get it loose, rather than damaging it, I will send it to Steve when he becomes available. I want the darn thing loose. The reproducer, from what I can see, appears to be perfectly usable. That's one reason I'm being careful with it. I don't want to damage it.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Sorry to hear that you're still not able to budge the reproducer. It sure is odd that the reproducer is stuck that much inside the stanchion. I might expect a badly stuck reproducer like this if there was considerable rust corrosion in that area but I don't see that in the pictures.

Anyway, before you opt to remove the stanchion (a last resort when all else fails in removing the reproducer) give PB Blaster a try first if you've not tried it yet. Take the works outside just long enough to spray the stuff around the mounting hole and inside the screw hole on the stanchion. I know that it's cold outside this time of year but it will only take a few seconds and then wipe off any excess before coming back inside. Let it sit and work for while. The stuff will try to creep inside and around the throat of the reproducer that's inside the stanchion. When you feel the timing is right try carefully pulling on the tube section of the reproducer and see if it will move.

If you do opt to remove the stanchion (again, as a last resort) be sure to first reach for your digital camera (or cell phone) and take several good pictures of the underside linkage to the stanchion as well as the top side of the stanchion and make note of the position of your start/stop lever. You'll need to undo the linkage under the bed plate and you want to make doubly sure that everything is reinstalled just as it was before you removed the stanchion. Be careful not to injure any of the linkage. Its job is important in that it moves the reproducer "paddle" which lifts the reproducer weight/stylus assembly up and down. Once you feel you have captured all the pictures you need then begin the stanchion removal process. You may get lucky and be able to remove the reproducer once the stanchion is out since both reproducer and stanchion will be easier to handle. Be cautious and proceed slowly if you opt to go this route. Good luck!

Doug

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

As someone who has absolutely no experience with cylinder machines, I am curious as to what it is about this machine, (which looks similar to most others), that makes it so desirable? I just sent a fellow collector a diaphragm for his, turns out they use the same as the Amberola or Diamond A and B from what I was told. He said it definitely improved the clarity and distortion it had with the original diaphragm. He may comment on it here one day.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

larryh wrote:As someone who has absolutely no experience with cylinder machines, I am curious as to what it is about this machine, (which looks similar to most others), that makes it so desirable? I just sent a fellow collector a diaphragm for his, turns out they use the same as the Amberola or Diamond A and B from what I was told. He said it definitely improved the clarity and distortion it had with the original diaphragm. He may comment on it here one day.
I wondered the same. I prefer disc machines, but I have a good assortment of cylinder machines. I always liked the cabinets of the Columbia machines and I love the Columbia B, AB and Q exposed works. I have never been a big fan of Thomas Edison and I have wondered why some of his cylinder machines are so coveted. Please don’t take this as diminishing the machines. It is more that I am professing my ignorance about them.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

7309 wrote:Thanks for the information Doug. I have been using Liquid Wrench on it. Tried it for two days now. It still won't budge. I'll keep it up for a while. Am also using some heat from a hair dryer on it periodically. The bolts on the stanchion are loose. They were really tight but I got them loose. If I can't get it loose, rather than damaging it, I will send it to Steve when he becomes available. I want the darn thing loose. The reproducer, from what I can see, appears to be perfectly usable. That's one reason I'm being careful with it. I don't want to damage it.
If heat does not work, maybe try a freezing spray from the automotive store. Maybe this will help brake it loose. I assume you don’t have a freezer large enough for the whole thing.

Good luck
Andreas

Victor O

Post by 7309 »

Well, I went to Lowes and bought a can of PB Blaster as you guys recommended. I took the unit outside (good move as it really stinks) and sprayed it. Wiped it off and brought it back inside. Within 30 minutes, it was loose and I was able to pull it out without damaging it. The only problem with the reproducer is the wire from the diaphragm to the bar was loose. It looks like I can use it with very little work. It is a Model L reproducer, #8376. I would never have tried that without you guys suggesting it. Thanks very much.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

7309 wrote:Well, I went to Lowes and bought a can of PB Blaster as you guys recommended. I took the unit outside (good move as it really stinks) and sprayed it. Wiped it off and brought it back inside. Within 30 minutes, it was loose and I was able to pull it out without damaging it. The only problem with the reproducer is the wire from the diaphragm to the bar was loose. It looks like I can use it with very little work. It is a Model L reproducer, #8376. I would never have tried that without you guys suggesting it. Thanks very much.
You're very welcome. Really, I'm just passing along advice that came from others on this board that is now experience! Now you'll be able to pass that information along next time!