Post by Andersun »

Make: Edison
Model: Amberola (A)-1
Serial #: 287
Year(s) Made: 1909 - 1911
Original Cost: $200.00
Case/Cabinet Size: 21” X 22” X 49” HIGH
Turntable/Mandrel: 4 ¾” Mandrel
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Model M (2&4 Minute)
Motor: Double Spring
Horn Dimensions: Internal 11" X 17"
Reproduction Parts: None
Note: Wood cabinet, except drawer slats, professionally refinished (Piano Finish). Mechanism, including bed plate, gear covers, and oxidized bronze parts, is all original. The Model M reproducer has a Model "O" 2/4 minute turning rod on it. (the model M came equipped with a shorter turning rod)
Current Value: Market
Interesting Facts: Early serial number. According to George Paul, the cabinet was one of the first 500 cabinets to be delivered to Edison from Pooley Furniture Company. Has later style Rococo grill.

The only history of this machine is that it was brought from North Carolina to Ft. Myers, FL in the 1950's and remained in a Ft. Myers mansion until 2010.

The case had been refinished many years ago with a brown varnish that cracked very badly. I cleaned and adjusted the mechanism and had an expert piano restorer refinish the cabinet. I replaced the broken M reproducer turning rod with one from a model O. The drawer insert slats are original.

Favorite Characteristics: It's overall beauty!

Discman
Victor II

Re: Featured Phonograph № 59

Post by Discman »

Outstanding!

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing a truly amazing phonograph.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Two rare and high end Edison's featured in a row! I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

That's really a beautiful piece. Very low serial number too. Thanks for posting.

The bedplate is about as perfect as I've seen and your restorer did a beautiful refinishing job. Were you able to save the original lid decal or did you have to replace it?

Interesting that it's got the second rococo grill even with that low sn. It illustrates the seemingly random nature in which the serial numbers were applied to the cabinet stock. There are certainly legitimate lyre grill machines with higher SNs based on the research of George Paul and others.

The only sad thing is that if your neighborhood is anything like mine, most visitors to the house don't even notice. They will comment on the ball game on television or on the nice bouquet of flowers my wife got from the garden but view the phonos in the room as extra large plant stands :(

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Exceptional machine, thanks for sharing!

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Wow! That is absolutely stunning! Color me green with envy! :mrgreen:

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Valecnik wrote: Were you able to save the original lid decal or did you have to replace it?
It is the original decal. The restorer clear coated lacquer over the inside of lid because the interior side panels had some finish issues due to the previous refinishing job. He had some problems with the lacquer bubbling up along the 4 joints where the side panels meet the top around the decal. I guess some material was in the joint which repelled the lacquer. It's a very minor issue that I had to live with.

TuxedoRonny
Victor Jr

Post by TuxedoRonny »

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous machine, must be what it looked like when it left the factory. I sure wish I had it! :D

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

TuxedoRonny wrote:Wow! Absolutely gorgeous machine, must be what it looked like when it left the factory. I sure wish I had it! :D
Can you imagine what the first owner must have felt like when it arrived in his parlor, probably in 1909??? If he had kids, I bet they were forbidden to even touch it. He might have already had some two minute records, possibly a few of the the four minute wax ones that he kept after trading in his converted Model A or B Triumph. I bet his wife was happy to get rid of that ugly straight Triumph horn! I wonder if he paid cash or purchased it on installments? Unlike today when most people won't notice it, I bet EVERYONE commented on that beauty when they walked into the room. :)