Two Columbia machines--I don't know what I have here.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Two Columbia machines--I don't know what I have here.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Greetings!

So I bought two Grafonolas lately. Both were cheap. I took the trashed one and used the tonearm to fix the somewhat less trashed one.

It looks like a client machine but the reproducer has "Magic Notes" and "Columbia." Also, the spindle is the normal size for a 78rpm machine. The finish is really pretty and the horns in both were woodgrained with no trace of a grill cloth. I'm going to leave them like that and show off that fancy horn.

The really trashed one actually had a pack with some unused Victor Fiber Needles in it! So I tried those out...nice sound.

What have I got?
Attachments
DSCN5613.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Two Columbia machines--I don't know what I have here.

Post by Phonofreak »

The machines you have is a late model BZ. This is a Columbia product made for Sears for their internal horn Oxford series. This was the entry level one and sold for $9.95 in 1912. These are really nice machines.
Harvey Kravitz

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Thanks a lot! So they're not actually Columbia...I would have never guessed Oxford!

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

Well, they were branded Oxford, but were built for Sears under contract by Columbia. So they are still technically a Columbia machine. These are from just before the Silvertone era.

They are uncommon machines.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I think it's pretty crazy that I found two of them, if they're that uncommon!

Mainly I bought them because I thought it was cool to find the body to fit that one tonearm onto, and because I originally thought they were Grafonolas which, for whatever reason, never had tone-leaves installed.

Time to get the needle bar straightened and rebuild the old soundbox and motor, clean it up, maybe put on a little fresh felt, and go hunt for Oxford Records!

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

Seems like Oxford records don't turn up in the wild very often, either, though you will see one from time to time. Most if not all of them were made from Columbia masters.

Sears introduced the Silvertone line in their Spring 1916 catalog if memory serves me correct. I suspect the reason for them to do this is the Oxford line wasn't selling too well judging by the number of machines and records encountered today.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I forgot to mention that these machines never had a grille cloth. That would hide the grain of the metal horns. Once you rebuild the reproducer, and get it working, they are pretty loud for such a small machine. Be careful of the pesky fiber gear. Ron Sitko sells good replacements.
Harvey Kravitz

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Nice to see. I've never seen a table top Oxford. I have a Harvard with horn though. I do have about twenty to thirty Oxford records so they can be found!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

zenith82 wrote:Seems like Oxford records don't turn up in the wild very often, either, though you will see one from time to time. Most if not all of them were made from Columbia masters.

Sears introduced the Silvertone line in their Spring 1916 catalog if memory serves me correct. I suspect the reason for them to do this is the Oxford line wasn't selling too well judging by the number of machines and records encountered today.
Sears also began the process of streamlining the many names for its house brands.

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

estott wrote:
zenith82 wrote:Seems like Oxford records don't turn up in the wild very often, either, though you will see one from time to time. Most if not all of them were made from Columbia masters.

Sears also began the process of streamlining the many names for its house brands.
True, but that happened a little later. Even though the Silvertone name was eventually used on electronics and some musical instruments, I think the name was exclusive for phonographs until about 1924 when the radios were introduced.