Sale pending: GREAT Standard E, blue horn, WAS $825 NOW $700

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Sale pending: GREAT Standard E, blue horn, WAS $825 NOW $700

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

All right, in the further interests of making my room look less like a barn sale & raising funds for later in life and whatnot, I reluctantly decide to put my Edison Standard E up for sale.

It's fully restored, new brass mandrel bearing, reproducer shell & hinge block, new spring, governor springs, drive belt, governor drive gear, crank, crane assembly, gaskets, horn connector, decals, finish, and rubber footies (very technical here) on the bottom.

Also, it sounds really great.

The only problems with it are the oiler is missing, as well as the lid lock escutcheons and the four screws which hold the bedplate to the case. If you buy it, I will source these parts and change them before shipping.

Here's a couple outdoor glamour shots, so tell me what you think. I'm looking to get some $$$ for it but if this is too high then I'll get a little less $$ for it, eh?

Sincerely
Charles F.
Attachments
DSCN5623.JPG
DSCN5619.JPG
Last edited by VanEpsFan1914 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: GREAT Edison Standard E w. 32" blue horn! $825

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Time for more pictures:

I should have dusted it a little.
Attachments
DSCN5625.JPG
DSCN5624.JPG
DSCN5623.JPG
DSCN5621.JPG
DSCN5620.JPG

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: GREAT Standard E, blue horn, WAS $825 NOW $700

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Bump!

(Not selling because this is an inferior phonograph, but because I am getting rid of that Collyer Bros. look.)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Yours for $675. Any lower and I start losing money.

It's not perfect but it has new main- and governor-springs and a fresh drive gear. Also, it looks cool.

Takers? Or do I have to just hang onto it--not that that would bother me much.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Still available for $650. I really hate to put this thing on eBay and see it two weeks later as a stack of spare parts. Ideally it should go to a good collector.

There was interest in the horn separately from the machine, but I am trying to keep these as a pair.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

This is a screaming deal for such a wonderful, complete machine. They don't come any better than this. It took me close to 15 years to find a machine like this. This is an all correct, and very scarce machine.
Harvey Kravitz

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

PM sent

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Here is my Standard Model E story. Back in 1990 with 2 years of collecting under my belt. I saw a beautiful, restored Model E, no horn, crane and horn for $500.00. I snapped it up, thinking I could find the horn and crane. I did have a repro crane and black horn. i couldn't get that thing to play good, no matter hat I did. I ended up selling it and made a good profit on it. About 15 years later, I got lucky and got the correct blue horn, original crane with chain, for $150.00. Then the hunt was on for a Model E. A few years later, I get a call from an antique store that they had an Edison cylinder machine and it didn't work. it turned out to be the elusive Model E that I was looking for. The mandrel was frozen, and the linkage on the Model N reproducer was disconnected, and needed to be rebuilt. I told the owner that I had a perfectly good Standard B 2/4 min. model, with some cylinders, C reproducer, and a repro B & B 14" horn. I paid less than $200.00 for that machine. I brought the machine to the dealer and we did an even trade. He got a nice salable machine with nothing wrong with it, and I got the elusive Model E. I sent out the reproducer to be rebuilt, and got the mandrel bearing changed and got it working good. It took me quite a few years to get one. When I saw this same machine at shows and get togethers, I see these going between $900.00 -$1100.00. Whoever buys this machine is getting a real bargain.
Harvey kravitz

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

All right. Martin's making up his mind and if he decides not to go for it, then it will probably go into the shop for a mechanical freshening up (again!), a TrueTone upgrade, and permanent residence in the VanEpsFan collection.

He's not a big fan of all the replica parts. I gotta say, he's right. I used a LOT of modern parts, and I mean a LOT.