Reproducer/Sound-Box:
Motor: 1 person power
Horn Dimensions: ?
Reproduction Parts: ?
Current Value: ?
Interesting Facts: reduced to the max

Captains log: Stardate 1-9-3-x

Victor day has come and gone!

We have spotted a strange ship on our starboard bow.

Spock, what is it?

I don't know, Captain, it's phonographic, but not as we know it? It looks very foreign!

Warning, it's parsing, certainly a display of unprovoked aggression....man all battle stations.

No, Captain, looks like its trying to communicate! Yes communication intercepted & translated.

What's it saying?

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas"

Ok, enough nonsense. This was a type of ultralight machine that was fashionable for a time in Japan. The turntable spokes have weights at the end of each spoke as a type of flywheel to try and help maintain a constant speed while being hand wound. Amazing how long 3 minutes is when you have to wind by hand with such a small crank.

The horn and reproducer fit onto one of the support legs.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Re: Featured Phonograph № 41

Post by SonnyPhono »

Thanks for sharing! This is an odd one. If you don't mind sharing, where did you find it? I would love to hear the story behind this one. Thanks again!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Quite an interesting find! How’s it compare in terms of sound to other machines?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Fascinating ;)

Regards,
John :D

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

MordEth wrote:Quite an interesting find! How’s it compare in terms of sound to other machines?

— MordEth

The soundbox gives an OK sound, however, the manual cranking means that it sounds better for others. If you use it on a surface that is too smooth you realise why helicopters have a rotor on the back as well.

Essentially one needs a designated turner.

bdada
Victor Jr

Post by bdada »

I believe the name of the model (or manufacturer) is Ashi. I know I have a picture of it in one of my books, but can't remember which one. It pictured machine has a reproducer with a small short resonator/horn similar to some cameraphone types. Beautiful in its simplicity