(trying to) Deal with Loss

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SPOONMAN19
Victor O

(trying to) Deal with Loss

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

Apologies - should have posted under "British and European Machines" originally

Hi Guys,

So I've actually come on here to help come to terms with a crippling loss. My colonial 101 has been stolen during a move from Uganda to Egypt.I work for the UN so tend to move every few years to a new posting.

I simply cant bear the loss; and almost everyone I tell has a similar reaction - oh a gramophone? too bad man. But luckily no big loss...

And this is the one group I know who will definitely NOT have the above reaction!

Whoever stole it has probably offloaded it somewhere for 10 bucks. And its gone. The fact that I will get some cash via insurance is absolutely zero comfort.

And of course I know there are vastly more important things in life -our kids, health, parents, the family dog etc - but this one hurts.

I was actually on this site years ago...and then moving to places like Yemen put paid to non-work related internet browsing! And this week as everyone around me wonders why I'm so upset over one lousy gramophone particularly when I can get insurance...thought of you lot.

Your sympathy is a given! So will thank you for that.
Take care,
sid
Attachments
GRAM.JPG
GRAM.JPG (74.15 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
GRAM3.JPG
GRAM3.JPG (42.82 KiB) Viewed 1511 times

poodling around
Victor V

Re: (trying to) Deal with Loss

Post by poodling around »

SPOONMAN19 wrote:Apologies - should have posted under "British and European Machines" originally

Hi Guys,

So I've actually come on here to help come to terms with a crippling loss. My colonial 101 has been stolen during a move from Uganda to Egypt.I work for the UN so tend to move every few years to a new posting.

I simply cant bear the loss; and almost everyone I tell has a similar reaction - oh a gramophone? too bad man. But luckily no big loss...

And this is the one group I know who will definitely NOT have the above reaction!

Whoever stole it has probably offloaded it somewhere for 10 bucks. And its gone. The fact that I will get some cash via insurance is absolutely zero comfort.

And of course I know there are vastly more important things in life -our kids, health, parents, the family dog etc - but this one hurts.

I was actually on this site years ago...and then moving to places like Yemen put paid to non-work related internet browsing! And this week as everyone around me wonders why I'm so upset over one lousy gramophone particularly when I can get insurance...thought of you lot.

Your sympathy is a given! So will thank you for that.
Take care,
sid

I am very sorry to hear about this loss. I can kind of understand - maybe I feel similarly about an early HMV 102 I have had since a very early age. Your gramophone is also a thing of beauty though and very rare.

Does it have any unique distinctive marks / features we can look out for in case it ever emerges for sale some-where ?

I don't know what good it would do if it did re emerge but at least you might know a bit more.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

I'm sorry, Sid. I'm sure it brought some really beautiful music to some fairly desolate surroundings during its tenure with you. I'll be on the lookout for it.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Without even considering the sentimental value of your machine, the loss of a teak 101 is very sad.

The problem is your average Joe doesn't understand the rare and unique qualities of this particular vintage piece. People are so use to seeing a crapophone on nearly every street corner they don't see any gramophones as rare or irreplaceable. They might understand better if you said 'to me it's like losing a 1928 Bugatti and just as rare'.

Someone came into my house a few years ago, looked at all the gramophones and said 'if you sold this lot you might have nearly enough money to buy a decent iPod'. You can imagine my delight at being able to sell a collection that includes 2 trademark models and having nearly enough to buy an iPod. People can be very dismissive of anything old and the attitude seems to be getting worse.

Every machine has its own fingerprint. I can see the pattern of wear to the internal horn... an L shape scratch on its side. So we shall keep a lookout! If stolen in Europe there's more chance of it surfacing than in Africa but it may find its way out of there.

Jamie

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

What is the serial number ?

All HMV machines have unique numbers somewhere and you should always note / photograph them , , if they surface they can be traced

as was this EMG

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... stolen+EMG

photograph and detail all of your machines , mark them with a postcode address / zipcode address it's not rocket science

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Being the owner of a machine like yours, bought several years ago, I commiserate with the loss, it is a very good looking machine. The mitigation is that you can find a replacement - the colonial 101's, although not common, are not rarities and every now and then are on the market. Very recently one was sold in an auction, posted here by one of our fellow members. I would suggest that you get in touch with a reputable dealer and get him to scout for a replacement.

SPOONMAN19
Victor O

Post by SPOONMAN19 »

Dear all,

Thanks so much for the feedback and support. It really did help!

jamiegramo - your post about the Ipod made me laugh. Thanks - needed that.

soundgen / poodling around / SteveM - You all raised similar pertinent points. The number stamped on the board was 103. With respect to distinguishing features - there's a oval shaped mark where the dealer plate used to be / one needle tin is jammed and cannot be opened / the front winding hole is got an extra screw hole.

I dont envision it ever coming back. But at this stage if it finds it way to somebody like us on the forum - I will settle for that! Rather than it be broken and used as a box etc.

CarlosV - Thanks. Have sent you a PM as I had a query.

Well, am gonna go hunting for a replacement; and wake up old contacts I had in Asia!

Thanks again.
s