Recent Silvertone purchase

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Fish
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I can fix it!

Recent Silvertone purchase

Post by Fish »

Hi Everyone, I've always had the phonograph bug and finally got around to purchasing one. I've repaired antique clocks for years so I figured phonograph motors can't be that much different.

I found this Silvertone Model III on Craigslist for $20 and even though it's a low end model, I thought it would be a good place to start. I have rebuilt the motor (including removal and cleaning of the single mainspring) and it's running great.

Now I'd like to rebuild the reproducer but I'm unsure what parts for other brands will work. It also appears that the reproducer does not have a separate cover that comes off. Does that mean a new outside gasket should be just pressed in? What gaskets are needed and is there a piece of "mica" I need to order? I understand beeswax is needed as well. Apologies for my lack of the correct terminology but I'm learning as I go. Thanks for the help.
Attachments
Silvertone-1.JPG
Silvertone-2.JPG

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Recent Silvertone purchase

Post by alang »

Welcome to the hobby and congratulations to your first phonograph. I have not worked on a Silvertone reproducer before, but on other similar reproducers the diaphragm is only held in by the outer gaskets. To service it you carefully remove the old hardened gasket pieces, then you should be able to pull the diaphragm out. You may or may not have to remove the screws for the needlebar first, I cannot see if it will simply swing out or not. Then you remove and replace the gasket behind the diaphragm, put it back in place and carefully squeeze in the front gasket.

Good luck
Andreas

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

Nice find !
Welcome to the forum.

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Fish wrote: What gaskets are needed and is there a piece of "mica" I need to order? I understand beeswax is needed as well. Apologies for my lack of the correct terminology but I'm learning as I go. Thanks for the help.
If the mica isn't cracked or flaking it should be reusable. A search on Silvertone here turns up a few posts, but not a ton of help. Not sure which gasket, but if I were to hazard a guess its the rubber tube type - not sure which dimension, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Gasket- ... rk:12:pf:0

Not sure if you were asking or not but a drop of melted beeswax goes where the needlebar attaches to the mica.

This video shows this at 9.15 - Although not your reproducer its pretty good as a general principals look at reproducers - EXCEPT the part where he advises using white glue on the gaskets ... not needed and I don't understand why he does that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rhh5_7UYGY

Your antique clock experience will serve you well I'm sure :)

Fish
Victor Jr

Post by Fish »

Thanks Andreas for the response. Should I replace the diaphragm as well or should the existing one be ok? I'm sure it's original.

Fish
Victor Jr

Post by Fish »

Thanks burke. I didn't see your response until after I posted my last question.

Kevin

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I'd only replace the diaphragm if it's damaged or flaking. This looks good, at least from the picture.

Andreas

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Welcome!

If you need gasket material (and it's likely you do), Ron Sitko can probably help you. He sells at least two different sizes of white rubber gasket tubing:

Ron Sitko
56 Church Hill Road.
Waterford NY 12188
Telephone (518) 371-8549
Hours: 7PM-10PM EST

Good luck - -

George P.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

A nice find at a good price. Welcome to the forum. The folks here are great. You will find a lot of information and support.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Fish
Victor Jr

Post by Fish »

Thanks everyone for your help. Good to know there's a lot of great resources on this site!