uh oh, another HMV portable arrived

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
PeterF
Victor IV

uh oh, another HMV portable arrived

Post by PeterF »

Geez, it's approaching critical mass. Picked up another HMV portable yesterday, an early 101. It has a wooden motorboard, and the #4 reproducer with engraved identification on the back side.

There doesn't seem to be any ID marking or plate or celluloid tag on it, under the platter or anywhere else. Is that normal?

So now I've got two 101s and two 102s. They are just so perfect in size, design, and performance that it's hard to resist!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: uh oh, another HMV portable arrived

Post by epigramophone »

All black 101's have wooden motor boards. Only the higher priced coloured versions had leathercloth on their motor boards.

101's produced prior to about 1927 had no ID plate. After that, various celluloid and metal ID plates were used.

The earliest 101's were front wind, and the earliest No.4 soundboxes had the engraving on the front.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Great, thanks for the info. This is side wind, which I guess indicates late-early.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I only have one 101 but it's by far my favorite portable. I think it's completely justified to have two or three in black, just based on ease of use, performance, and looks; and then if you start collecting the colored versions, well...

Mine is a late one with the auto-brake, which I like. It definitely did at one time have a celluloid ID tag, but it's missing.