Edisonia electric cylinder reproducers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Edisonia electric cylinder reproducers

Post by pughphonos »

Hello all --

I'm about to open (once home after work) a box with my Edisonia cylinder reproducer, which I understand comes with 2 and 4 minute styli.

Question: are the styli designed to work just on wax, or just on plastic--or both? Want to make sure so I damage neither cylinders nor styli.

Ralph
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Edisonia electric cylinder reproducers

Post by PeterF »

Tracking force is so light I doubt any damage can result. I love mine, and have had it for years.

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

Thanks, Peter -- and good to "talk" to you again.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

Just wanted to post a totally positive and enthusiastic report about the Edisonia ACT/2 electric cylinder reproducer. I have it playing a late directly recorded Edison Blue Amberol from 1914 as I type this.

Anyone who owns cylinders and an Edison cylinder phonograph should very seriously consider buying the Edisonia ACT/2. It opens up so much detail; more than you can get off Diamond Discs using electric pick-up. I am seriously wondering if I should ever play my cylinders acoustically ever again. Will probably keep my Triumph's marvelous 11-panel cygnet horn for decorative purposes, at least.

This is a totally unsolicited endorsement. This sort of product deserves support!

My hat is off to the Lomas family and their business partners!

Ralph

SimpleLifers
Victor O

Post by SimpleLifers »

Is Edisonia still making the electric reproducer? Sent the site a question and have not heard back. I would like one.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

SimpleLifers wrote:Is Edisonia still making the electric reproducer? Sent the site a question and have not heard back. I would like one.
Edisonia is run by one man who does this out of love for the hobby, so though you might not hear back right away, you'll certainly hear back. It may take a little but it will be worth the wait.

Even if he has discontinued these reproducers he will still have some wonderful cylinder records for you, and I highly recommend them.

SimpleLifers
Victor O

Post by SimpleLifers »

Outstanding. Thank you

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Here's an electric pick-up I got many years ago: I'm not sure if it's Edisonia, though...
Photo on 6-15-20 at 9.55 PM #3.jpg
Photo on 6-15-20 at 9.55 PM #2.jpg
-Bill

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Bills pickup is an Act 2. I have had the opportunity to use one of these, and have found it to be an excellent device ! Especially if you're on a budget. But that should not be the only reason you should get one. Three factors to the good- 1- The output is wired to be correctly out of phase as it needs to be for vertical (hill and dale) reproduction. 2- The Stanton 500 series cartridge has been used by archives around the world for decades and, last time I bought some of these, custom styli from Expert pickups in England can be used with the Act 2. 3- The cartridge and mount is very compliant to be able to play cylinders that are not completely true - vertically and or horizontally- anymore.

Just my 2 bits based on lots of practical experience using one of these. Hope this is useful !

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

I see that Pyle has a series of low noise preamps. I'm wondering if any of these would produce results superior to the preamp that comes with the Edisonia ACT/2 -- anyone have any testimonies/thoughts? I see that many of the Pyle preamps are quite compact and can be powered by 9v batteries, just like the one that comes with the ACT/2.