Standard Model X Questions...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Standard Model X Questions...

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I have the workings of a Standard Talking Machine model X. It’s missing the tonearm mount, tonearm, reproducer, horn, and crank. I know these were made by Columbia, but what Columbia machine were they based off of? What parts are interchangeable with a Columbia machine and what parts were proprietary to the Standard machines only? This is my first external horn disc player and im quite excited I finally found one! As always, thanks.
Attachments
CC655BC4-E98A-4C4C-BE1F-018A3974C7E1.jpeg
B47040EE-5D99-4248-814C-3CAF54DE2CC4.jpeg

outune
Victor IV

Re: Standard Model X Questions...

Post by outune »

Hi Amb Andy-- The Standard X Machines were a Columbia Client machine. many parts are interchangeable. Here is a link to the intertique site that gives a little info on your machine. The horn pictured is the 'usual' all black horn on the "X". There was also a later version-- the "X2" (embossed X2 on the tonearm-- that used a larger paneled horn. After you've researched it a bit, an ad for parts in the Yankee Trader section would more than likely result in finding the parts you need.

https://www.intertique.com/StandardXIDDemo.html

Brad Abell

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

outune wrote:Hi Amb Andy-- The Standard X Machines were a Columbia Client machine. many parts are interchangeable. Here is a link to the intertique site that gives a little info on your machine. The horn pictured is the 'usual' all black horn on the "X". There was also a later version-- the "X2" (embossed X2 on the tonearm-- that used a larger paneled horn. After you've researched it a bit, an ad for parts in the Yankee Trader section would more than likely result in finding the parts you need.

https://www.intertique.com/StandardXIDDemo.html

Brad Abell
Thanks! Here’s a short, blurry, video of the motor working.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZak3WKv5eM

I guess the spring had a little tension still in it. But not enough tension left to turn the platter when I put it on while ithe motor was moving. The spring that goes between the brake pin and the friction lever had fallen off at some point but I took out the brake pin and put the spring back on it where it’s supposed To go.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

outune wrote:The horn pictured is the 'usual' all black horn on the "X". There was also a later version-- the "X2" (embossed X2 on the tonearm-- that used a larger paneled horn.
I don’t have those parts so my machine could possibly be an X2? What years where they making the regular X and what years where they making the X2? I know Standard was making these front mount machines a few years after front mounts were mostly obsolete.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

The "X" in the intertique pictures has an "X2" tonearm, but has the smaller all black horn. I believe that would be wrong. The "X2" horn is a larger paneled horn.
If you can find the support arm, tone arm, all black horn and reproducer, you's be all set with a complete "X" machine. Those parts show up on Ebay or on the Forum from time to time.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

One correction to my last post-- I could swear I saw a close up of the "X2" on the tonearm of the intertique picture-- but now I don't-- Either the internet is going nuts or I am :) Anyway-- The set up in those pictures is correct for your machine.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Update 3-30-19

Thanks to the members here. I got a crank and got the motor working! Hopefully by this time next month I’ll have my first working outside horn disc player!

[http://youtube.com/watch?v=-uTfuCzLs4U

whitedogfive
Victor O

Post by whitedogfive »

My first outside horn machine was a Standard Talking Machine X2, all original. I barely can get it to play a 10 inch record on one winding, but it does play loud and clear. I now have nine outside horn machines and always looking to add another, its like eating potato chips, you cannot have just one. These machine make great displays and always spark a conversation. Its fun to play them to.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

whitedogfive wrote:My first outside horn machine was a Standard Talking Machine X2, all original. I barely can get it to play a 10 inch record on one winding, but it does play loud and clear. I now have nine outside horn machines and always looking to add another, its like eating potato chips, you cannot have just one. These machine make great displays and always spark a conversation. Its fun to play them to.
I have a few outside horn machines, (if you’re talking cylinders.) But in the last 3 years, this is the only external horn disc machine I have ever found. As I said before in previous threads, where I’m from cylinders were more popular than disc machines in the 1st decade of the 20th century. So I am very happy to have this. Even if it’s not as good as a Victor or a “real” Columbia machine. Or a Zon-O-Phone or Talk-O-Phone for that matter. It will be a 20 degree day in July before I ever find one of those around here.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

UPDATE 4-15-2019 : IT IS FINISHED!!!

Here it is! All together and working!!

I would like to give special thanks to Wayne (Gramophone78) and George (Gramophone-georg) for making this Possible! Thank you guys for your help!

And here’s the video!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lDoz29staDM

My first open horn disc machine! :)
Attachments
803DA4C0-D80A-425F-A1D5-53AC22D2C7E0.jpeg