French Machine questions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

French Machine questions

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi,
I have recently come across this photo of a French machine. I have one which is badged as a Merrophone from Paris but mine only has the tone arm, soundbox and winding handle in the lid, not these other parts. There are no screw holes or marks where they could have been attached originally so there must have been different versions of the machine. Anyone know why there is a speaking/listening tube and what the piece at the top of the lid did ? Where did the tube attach ?

Curious !!
Attachments
b7d6086b3fafb5b4d09ba8ac908b24f7.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: French Machine questions

Post by CarlosV »

The paraphernalia may be for recording purposes. There were some machines sold in the twenties that could record on special-purpose discs made with an ancestor of the acetate records from the 40s, so this is my guess.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Well, it definitely has two soundboxes; so I surmise one of them must be a recorder.

The tubing at the top may have fitted into the socket at lower left; with the recorder and speaking tube attached. I wonder whether there was some mechanical feed under the motor board?

Bill

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

It definitely looks like a recording and listening machine, with all the accessories needed to perform both operations. I suppose that also a listening-only version was released, which is the one you own (it would be nice if you would add some pictures).

Of course now you'll have no relief until you pair yours with a listening + recording unit! :lol:

At least some if not all recording blanks (like Victor's) were pre-grooved, so the machine doesn't necessarily need to have a mechanical feed anywhere when in recording mode.