Need advice and help on ID a few Gramophones

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Nigel
Victor Jr

Re: Need advice and help on ID a few Gramophones

Post by Nigel »

Hello everybody! I found another machine that i'm intrested in. this is a HMV 130(?) This comes from a seller who sells this machine for 150 euro. Does this look original\in good condition? any advice is apriciated. thanks!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I may be wrong, but I believe that this model is a good, basic machine and the price seems right. It looks to be original and doesn't take up a lot of space... it also leaves you with enough in your budget to buy another machine, either a cylinder machine or another disc machine with an outside horn...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Many British collectors consider the HMV130 to be the best table gramophone ever made. This one looks to be in good clean original condition, and the price is reasonable.

If you are able to examine it in person, check the No.5A soundbox for evidence of metal fatigue on the die cast back plate, and listen carefully to the motor. Any bumps and bangs indicate that the graphite grease which HMV used in their spring cases has hardened into lumps. The cure is to remove, clean, re-grease and re-install the springs. Not a job for the inexperienced.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

This 130 looks ok, but the grill cloth has been replaced, or so it seems from the photos. It has a good sound, as Epigramophone mentioned. You may ask the seller if the motor has been overhauled. If not, there is a 99% chance you will need to replace the grease in the springs, that solidify with time and not only cause bumps but eventually lead to the destruction of the springs.

Nigel
Victor Jr

Post by Nigel »

Hey People, first of all, thank you all for the replies and help, it is very much appriciated.

I hope I dont bore anybody with all these pictures and Questions. I have found another Machine. This seller is asking 350 Euro for it. It includes 100 records aswell.

He says its A HMV model number 10? Does it look original, and is it worth the price? Advice would be very much appriciated for A potential first Device.

Oh and also I dont know what this 1676 means on the Picture, is it a serial number or something?

Thanks again so much! from A Gramophone Newbie :D

Edit: is this the 10000 post on this forum section? I think it is atleast. Nice number!
Attachments
wqeewq.JPG
qweqweq.JPG
qweeqwqew.JPG
qewewqewq.JPG
ewqewqqeqwe.JPG
eqwqweqweeq.JPG
eqwqweew.JPG

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Nigel wrote:
I hope I dont bore anybody with all these pictures and Questions. I have found another Machine. This seller is asking 350 Euro for it. It includes 100 records aswell.

He says its A HMV model number 10? Does it look original, and is it worth the price? Advice would be very much appriciated for A potential first Device.

Oh and also I dont know what this 1676 means on the Picture, is it a serial number or something?
The machine looks in good shape, but acoustically it is very primitive. If you are looking for good reproduction, get the HMV 130, it will sound better. These upright HMVs do not attract many buyers, so the price may be a little too high. The number represents the serial number, but not necessarily a direct count from 0001. In some cases the serial numbers were coded, one digit representing the year or something like that.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

In terms of sound quality, machines of this type are nothing more than table models with added record storage. This one is of pre-1925 design, and a previous owner has fitted a later HMV No.4 soundbox to improve the reproduction of electrical records. This upgrade was commonly done to give older machines a new lease of life, but as Carlos says, the sound quality will still be inferior to the later HMV130.

If you want what our American friends call a "floor model", go for the type where the horn occupies the full depth of the cabinet such as the HMV Re-Entrant, the 511, the Columbia Plano-Reflex or the Salon Decca.

Nigel
Victor Jr

Post by Nigel »

Hello. thanks once more for the reply, this machine is a no go then for me then. I asked the person of the 130 to make a picture of the side for me of the sounbox and this is what i got.

Does this look alright? it looks ok to me, plus 150 euro for that 130 seems like A awesome starting machine.

Oh he also says that this soundbox has A problem that the needle has A tendency to get stuck, and doesnt move sooth?

All in all does this seemm like a nice starting machine for me?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

As far as I can see from the low resolution pictures, there appear to be no obvious cracks or breaks, but the rubber insulator may have hardened with age.

The HMV130 would be a good starter machine, but what does the seller mean by "the needle has a tendency to get stuck"? If the machine causes the record to stick during play, there is a problem.

Nigel
Victor Jr

Post by Nigel »

Yea, I was wondering the same thing. I think he was talking about those soundboxes in general. hes not talking about this specific one. Its in dutch so Im trying to translate it properly.

Anyway I asked him to explain further and im awaiting for a response. Ill keep you updated if thats ok in this thread.

Edit: he replied, he basically says theres nothing wrong with this soundbox, thats what he has been trying to tell me. i figured it out. so that all check out.