Coin slot Puck. Kind of

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
budsta
Victor I

Coin slot Puck. Kind of

Post by budsta »

I can't really explain this one. If I was to guess, I'd say it was someone being creative and trying to generate some extra income in there shop or the like. There is no coin Shute or anything, just a small slot on the side which the panel is hinged as can be seen in the photo. There is a thin layer of metal over the bedplate. The only reason I can think of why this was done, is a slot has been cut in for the lock and the thin sheet hides the slot. If anyone can shed more information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

regards
Stephen
Attachments
IMG_4464.JPG
IMG_4463.JPG
IMG_4462.JPG

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: Coin slot Puck. Kind of

Post by NEFaurora »

Totally Normal.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that someone added a coin slot to a machine where the coin slot went absolutely nowhere and coins just dropped into the bottom of the machine.. It was kind of like keeping a Brandy Glass on top of a Piano...for tips...same reason...It definately makes the machine unique... I love it. I would not even think of removing it or filling it. Though I would search for a missing Pin on the left side of the coin slot, or just replace both pins for the slot so they match...or at least make them look similar.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Kevan
Victor I
Personal Text: Over Hill And Dale.....and back again.

Post by Kevan »

I love it just they way it is. I have the same puck but there's no coin slot. :cry:

Mine has been finished with a thin layer of metal also to give it a more expensive bedplate it may have been painted when new??

Kevan

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Cool design...I like the coinslot, but I also think the idea of an honor system is really nice!

We've come a long ways...technology, vaccines, air conditioning, the Internet, automobiles...but there ARE some vintage things we should have never allowed to die out; the honor system being one of them.

I hear it still exists in the Yankee Trader and the rest of the phono community, though, which is good.