Playing Edison Records on February 11

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Playing Edison Records on February 11

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Yesterday I went to the nearby elementary school and presented a "mystery object" mini-lesson to the four 5th Grade classes.
After the students wrote in their journals the words "mystery object" (an Edison Blue Amberol Record) They wrote a few given clues such as:

1. the object is about a hundred years old
2. it is a blue colored cylinder shaped object

Questions from the students were carefully answered. They listened to each other's questions and the responses. They wrote added notes in their journals. I told them that on Monday, the 11th, I would return to show them how the object was used. A few students began to understand, but lacked the ultimate conclusion that it was a record to be played on a phonograph. On Monday, they will find out more! A photo or two will be posted Monday showing my Edison Fireside in action at school. Hopefully other forum members can play Edison records for others on February 11 and make it a day of discovery for young people.

Don (a retired elementary school teacher who still volunteers occasionally at school)

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Playing Edison Records on February 11

Post by marcapra »

That's great volunteer work you are doing! I'm surprised that the teacher would even let you visit the class though. I'm a retired teacher in California, and here the only reason to present any lesson to a class is 1. Are you teaching a to written objective that is in the state's curriculum, and 2. Is what you are teaching tested on the the annual school achievement tests that rank a school's academic standing. Principals are graded on how far they have raised a school's academic scores, so they frown on anything that gets in the way of these objectives. But I worked mostly in middle and high schools, so maybe elementary school is a little more lax in following these rules.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

The 5th Grade is studying inventions and inventors as a unit so it does fit in the curriculum at this time of year. I am a former 5th Grade teacher and do understand the need to teach the curriculum that complies with guidelines.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Super cool approach Don.

During the span of years when my kids attended elementary school, I used to do an annual presentation to the 5th graders on Edison and the phonograph (and incandescent lighting). In comparing cylinders and discs I asked them to see whether they could figure out why discs "won" by having them pass an unboxed (very moldy and unsalvageable) black wax cylinder around from student to student for close examination.

Almost every time, it got dropped. And bingo!

I sometimes wonder whether any of those kids were permanently traumatized by that - they usually looked completely mortified.

Oh, one more thing: the name of the school. Edison Elementary!

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Your presentation was a good one too. Thanks for sharing it. I will also bring in a Diamond Disc for comparison. The more we share the hobby with young people the hobby interest will continue!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I salute your work with the 5th graders. I believe in making learning fun and you are! marc.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

I can't even imagine what kids learn in classes anymore... 85% of current Americans do not even know their own American history and would fail a common history test..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Great job Don. I'm looking forward to the follow up tomorrow.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

IMG_1889  5th Grade Phonograph Lesson.JPG
The lessons went very well. Each class had a student act as an assistant. They were taught how to operate the phonograph. We sang the chorus to "Hail Hail The Gang's All Here" and I prepared a worksheet for review at the end of the lesson. The Edison Fireside did a great job sharing some history on Thomas Edison"s birthday.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That's fantastic! I love the idea of beginning the lesson with the "mystery object" and slowly revealing its purpose while they have time to wrap their minds around it. I still have a hard time explaining how a cylinder record to some adults, even while it's playing. Getting these kids to think outside the norm, really, and it's great. I couldn't think of a better machine to use than a Fireside, either.