New acquisition -- Vic 0

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Re: New acquisition -- Vic 0

Post by jboger »

I've come back to this machine after shelving it for a few years. I dropped working on it after I pulled out the "escutcheon" that was on the machine when I bought it. It was a pipe fitting that someone had jammed into the case by enlarging the original hole. So with a replaced backboard, a horn that needed to be repainted, and sundry other things, I did not want to put anymore time into this.

But not one to let things sit forever, I started to look at the case a few weeks ago. Did some work on it. Got the motot running again. So here is sort of an update on this machine. The horn still needs to be stripped and painted. I found the original Victor logo. I will be sad to see it go. The horn is missing its rivet that is required to secure the horn to the elbow; I will need to replace that. Right now the horn is just taped on in order to get an idea of what the machine might look like.

Still much work to be done. Any suggestions how to replicate the color of the horn?
Attachments
DSCF1915.jpg
DSCF1915.jpg (98.14 KiB) Viewed 874 times
DSCF1914.jpg
DSCF1914.jpg (97.37 KiB) Viewed 874 times
DSCF1913.jpg
DSCF1913.jpg (105.57 KiB) Viewed 874 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Hoping that before you repaint the horn, you have the dents and creases removed. You've done a great job on this phonograph! Hope you see it through, now that you're restarted on it. Some of my work has big time gaps in it as well, so I get it.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Thanks, Jerry. I now have the top (motor board) glued back on. The motor board is composed of two pieces. These had separated, which was just as well as the top was warped. I re-glued the two pieces together (hide glue of course) and clamped everything flat between two boards. Seems to have worked. This model, or at least this version of the model, did not have the top screwed on. To get at the motor, one needs to remove the bottom, which is screwed on. I kept things that way and re-glued the top back on this past weekend. I just pulled the clamps off (after 2.5 days) to see if things were ok. They are, but I put the clamps back on anyway and will leave them there for at least another two days. This machine has had a hard life. I haven't thought much about the horn. It needs a rivet. t's a cute model. But Victor cut some corners, in my opinion. I think it is far more convenient to have a removable top. And then the tonearm does not have the U-tube, which is a great convenience.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Mine has the top glued on too.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Few months ago I bought a searchlight horn at auction and the auctioneer threw in a Vic O. The machine was complete but missing the horn. I was unsuccessful in finding the correct horn or the elbow and concluded there are none of these items left on earth. To make things worse we were packing to move and the cabinet with the tone arm and back bracket, which were in a separate box, VANISHED! :x What I have left is the top board, motor, platter, brake, crank and speed control. Here are a few picks of the motor.

Bill K
        Attachments
        DSCN1372.JPG
        DSCN1372.JPG (123.85 KiB) Viewed 789 times
        DSCN1371.JPG
        DSCN1371.JPG (124.36 KiB) Viewed 789 times
        DSCN1370.JPG
        DSCN1370.JPG (126.78 KiB) Viewed 789 times

jboger
        Victor IV

Post by jboger »

One thing has bothered me for awhile. Many people helped me when I first started to work on this machine. And I think many people hoped to see a completed project. I do thank all those people who took the time to photograph their machines and provide advice and suggestions. Very much appreciated.

I did give up on this machine because I thought it would be an overly restored antique. And when I saw the enlarged escutcheon hole--well, I gave up. It was just one more item on the list of indignities this poor machine had suffered.

Well, it's not completed yet, but it has come along. So I have now attached the top to the machine. I've provided some photographs for people to see. (The lighting's not the best.) I think it's starting to look OK, maybe better than just OK.

I'm afraid I may need to go underground again so it may be awhile before I surface. It's the horn. I need to figure out what to do. This will sit with me until I (1) figure out what I want to do and (2) then do it..

But in the meantime I genuinely appreciate all the help Forum members had given me in the past.
        Attachments
        DSCF1941.jpg
        DSCF1941.jpg (100.96 KiB) Viewed 768 times
        DSCF1940.jpg
        DSCF1940.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 768 times
        DSCF1939.jpg
        DSCF1939.jpg (97.32 KiB) Viewed 768 times

jboger
        Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Well, if the joint fails, I'll try hot hide glue the next time. I have a Victor Junior. It has a glued-on top, presumably done with hot hide glue. Regardless, I think it's a bad idea to pick up any of these old machines just by the top. Best to hold from the bottom.

phonogal
        Victor IV
        Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Good luck with your horn repaint. I have tried a couple of times to paint the one I have and although it looks okay, I haven't been able to find the right yellow. Someone had painted mine black so I had no choice but to try.