Closing In on the Ship Endurance

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
rodpickett
Victor II

Closing In on the Ship Endurance

Post by rodpickett »

You may be familiar with the history of Antarctic explorer Ernest Shackleton and the rare Edison wax Amberol recording where Ernest recalls details of his expedition. The ship was lost, but all crew survived. Researchers are close to finding the wreckage.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/antarct ... -endurance

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Closing In on the Ship Endurance

Post by phonogfp »

That's pretty interesting. I would have thought it impossible after all these years, and wouldn't be surprised if there weren't much left, but it will still be cool (literally).

Here's a copy of the record:

George P.
Shackleton2.JPG
Shackleton1.JPG

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

and a link to the recording:

https://tinyurl.com/y22gj9op

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Shackleton also recorded his experiences on disc :
Attachments
HMV D377.jpg
HMV D377.jpg (146.66 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Victor 55096.jpg
Victor 55096.jpg (77.86 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Oh cool! How rare and/or expensive are those records epigramophone? I would love to get my hands on them.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the Endurance. I love to hear historian Dan Carlin talk about the voyage in relation to there perception on WW1.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

That's really interesting, I enjoy watching this type of underwater exploration reveal lost ships. I watched a show on the Smithsonian Channel (IIRC) a couple nights ago in which a group of researchers uncovered the remains of several ships of designs and builds that have never been seen by modern eyes. They were searching for the ancient sea's shore line, in an attempt to prove a theory on the formation of the Black Sea in antiquity. Very interesting! Link: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180970622/

I hope they're successful in their search.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

travisgreyfox wrote:Oh cool! How rare and/or expensive are those records epigramophone? I would love to get my hands on them.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the Endurance. I love to hear historian Dan Carlin talk about the voyage in relation to there perception on WW1.
I can't say I've ever seen the HMV issue, but the Victor turns up often enough in private auction lists usually in the $75-100 minimum bid range. I recently bid on a copy in Larry Holdridge's last auction and wasn't successful. His minimum was $50 and I tried to snag it for $75. Oh well. It does turn up though.

Sean

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

HMV kept the record available by re-issuing it in their "Historic" No.2 Catalogue. If only Edison had done the same by re-issuing Wax Amberol 473 as a Blue Amberol.

Slightly off topic, here is Zonophone's tribute to the tragic Scott expedition, coupled with the better known "Be British" tribute to the Titanic disaster :
Attachments
Scott.jpg