Nightmare on eBay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Accursius
Victor Jr

Re: Nightmare on eBay

Post by Accursius »

The "eBay Germany" phenomenon may be caused by my own account, as I copied the link from there. The seller's address (as provided by eBay) is in the town of Bohemia, NY, USA - I do not think he is German, as his "creative" spelling affects certain terms that are spelled identical in German and English ("Cylinder" is "Cylinder" or, in modern orthography, "Zylinder" in German, but definitly not "Clylonder" - not to mention the brand name "Columbia"...).

However, what really makes me sad is not the potential loss of my payment - but the fact that an entire collection of unrestored phonographs may be lost or severely damaged because of an eBay seller not taking care as required.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

It lists "Oakdale, NY. That's on Long Island, in New York. I used to live on Long Island for 34 years and I used to work in Oakdale years ago before I moved down here to Melbourne, Florida. You can always fly into Islip, MacArthur Airport, and rent a car and track the buyer down. Oakdale is very close to the airport! You won;t have to drive too far from the airport...!

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

One thing you might consider in the future, if the seller is willing, is to have him take the phonograph to FedEx and pay extra to have FedEx box it. They usually do a pretty good job.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Just got my refund through PayPal. Thank goodness that is over

Accursius
Victor Jr

Post by Accursius »

Received the PayPal refund confirmation today, so it's over in my case, either. However, I really hope that the machine is still located in the seller's kitchen in relative safety (maybe he is still trying to figure out where to fill the coffee beans in before starting to crank) and will find it's way into a collector's hand...