Nice Fireside Phonograph and question

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Nice Fireside Phonograph and question

Post by poodling around »

Well, I say it is 'nice' but I have no idea really except it looks nice to me, plays 2 and 4 minute cylinders and seems to have a low serial number (what do I know).

Anyway, I have seen a 'condition of sale' on a few machines - that the serial number must not be 'removed / changed' - and wonder why this is ?

I also see sometimes that items must not be sold below a certain price - like 78 records - I don't suppose this has anything to do with it though ?

Thank you for any clarification you can give about this.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auct ... fa00fdec46
Attachments
sales.JPG
sales.JPG (27.38 KiB) Viewed 1413 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Nice Fireside Phonograph and question

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Serial number's lower than mine--which is in the 79xxx's.

I don't know what the patent stuff and the minimum price stands for but it's on most Edison phonographs of this vintage.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I have seen a 'condition of sale' on a few machines - that the serial number must not be 'removed / changed' - and wonder why this is ?
Edison strictly enforced the retail prices of machines and records. Some dealers tried to discount machines but if they were caught, Edison would sue them -- and at least in the early 20th century, they always won. The courts ruled that manufacturers of patented items could set and enforce prices.

One big problem, which appears often in early issues of the Edison Phonograph Monthly magazine, was criminals who would buy machines on an installment plan. After making the initial down payment to get the machine, they would grind off the identifying serial number and resell the still-new machine on the black market. A machine with the serial number altered or removed was instantly suspect, and under Edison's terms of sale -- enforced by the courts -- it would be illegal to own.

poodling around
Victor V

TinfoilPhono wrote:
I have seen a 'condition of sale' on a few machines - that the serial number must not be 'removed / changed' - and wonder why this is ?
Edison strictly enforced the retail prices of machines and records. Some dealers tried to discount machines but if they were caught, Edison would sue them -- and at least in the early 20th century, they always won. The courts ruled that manufacturers of patented items could set and enforce prices.

One big problem, which appears often in early issues of the Edison Phonograph Monthly magazine, was criminals who would buy machines on an installment plan. After making the initial down payment to get the machine, they would grind off the identifying serial number and resell the still-new machine on the black market. A machine with the serial number altered or removed was instantly suspect, and under Edison's terms of sale -- enforced by the courts -- it would be illegal to own.

I see - it makes sense now.

Thank you very much Tinfoilphono for the information and example.

poodling around
Victor V

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Serial number's lower than mine--which is in the 79xxx's.

I don't know what the patent stuff and the minimum price stands for but it's on most Edison phonographs of this vintage.

Thank you VanEpsFan1914.

Interesting, I wonder what the lowest number currently in existence for this model may be ?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I've seen 3-digit serial numbers on a couple of Firesides. Here's one currently on eBay with a 4-digit number, and displaying the early decorations:

George P.
Fireside early1.jpg
Firesideearly2.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

phonogfp wrote:I've seen 3-digit serial numbers on a couple of Firesides. Here's one currently on eBay with a 4-digit number, and displaying the early decorations:

George P.
Fireside early1.jpg
Firesideearly2.jpg

Aha, that is interesting - thank you phonogfp.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You're very welcome.

George P.