Looking for DD Greetings from the Riviera

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Looking for DD Greetings from the Riviera

Post by marcapra »

I used to play one of my DDs and I think it was called something like "Greetings from the Riviera" or words to that effect. But I can't find this record in my catalogs and I don't know the artist or the serial number. It was an acoustic record I think and it was from about the year 1925. Does anyone know the artist or serial number? It might have been by B. A. Rolfe or someone like his band. It had a vocal chorus. Thanks, Marc.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: Looking for DD Greetings from the Riviera

Post by FellowCollector »

Edison Diamond Disc #51810 features Duke Yellman and His Orchestra with "On The Riviera" and it has vocals. I also have it on Blue Amberol #5223. Don't know if this is the selection you're referring to but thought I'd try to help.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Searching the discography I have in Excel for DD's for "Riviera" showed only the disc Doug mentioned.

YELLMAN, DUKE AND HIS ORCHESTRA ON THE RIVIERA 11152=C ED51810L 51810 51810 - - 8/6/26 GILBERT-VANLOAN-RICH

There is a YouTube video of it...

https://youtu.be/nd-qa4VtDa4

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

"Promenading on the Riviera
Comerading on the Riviera
You'll find them there
Sweet maidens fair
So "Chicky" and sweet, never a care

Salutations on the Riviera
Ev'ry nation's on the Riviera
Where they all play, turning the night into day
On the Riviera by the sea"

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Searching the discography I have in Excel for DD's for "Riviera" showed only the disc Doug mentioned.
That's odd. When I do a search on the DD spread sheet, the only hit I get is 80381 Just a voice to call me 'Dear' from The Riviera Girl by Jerome Kern, Billy Murray and Gladys Rice vocals (1917).

I didn't know that Billy Murray made 80,000 series records.
Thanks Uncle Vanya for those juicy lyrics! Yes that is the record I was talking about. The vocalist is not credited, but in Wile's The Edison Discography (1926-29) the singer is listed as one John Ryan. I have not heard of him. Thanks everyone for your help! Marc.