Celebrity round Gramophone & my First machine HMV 101

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Nigel
Victor Jr

Re: Celebrity round Gramophone & my First machine HMV 101

Post by Nigel »

Hello all! I finally got the machine in my home, a HMV 101. I'm extremely Happy with it! I already played some records, and it sounds great! ill show some pictures here. Also I was wondering, what is that metal thing that comes out of the HMV, behind the tonearm, in the back? I assume its a place to put a card in between?

Thanks everybody!

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Nigel wrote:Hello all! I finally got the machine in my home, a HMV 101. I'm extremely Happy with it! I already played some records, and it sounds great! ill show some pictures here. Also I was wondering, what is that metal thing that comes out of the HMV, behind the tonearm, in the back? I assume its a place to put a card in between?

Thanks everybody!

Hi there,

I believe that metal thing is where the needle tin would be placed.

Your HMV 101 looks in much better condition than mine. A very nice looking machine.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

poodling around wrote:
Nigel wrote:Hello all! I finally got the machine in my home, a HMV 101. I'm extremely Happy with it! I already played some records, and it sounds great! ill show some pictures here. Also I was wondering, what is that metal thing that comes out of the HMV, behind the tonearm, in the back? I assume its a place to put a card in between?

Thanks everybody!

Hi there,

Your HMV 101 looks in much better condition than mine. A very nice looking machine.

I think the one on the right is where you put the winding handle

poodling around
Victor V

estott wrote:
poodling around wrote:

Thanks everybody!

Hi there,

I think the one on the right is where you put the winding handle

Ooops, sorry about that I misunderstood.

The setup is like this photo - with the spare clip behind the tone-arm for a needle tin (I think) and the winding handle on the inner lid.
Attachments
clip.jpg
clip.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 926 times

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

The clip behind the tonearm is for a tin of Tungstyle needles, slimmer than normal needle tins: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vtg-needle-t ... SwZqZZ6ii8

Before you rush to get one, my impression is that many people don't bother, as the tins get heavily scratched by the clip, and the tungsten needles aren't kind to records.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

poodling around
Victor V

Orchorsol wrote:The clip behind the tonearm is for a tin of Tungstyle needles, slimmer than normal needle tins: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vtg-needle-t ... SwZqZZ6ii8

Before you rush to get one, my impression is that many people don't bother, as the tins get heavily scratched by the clip, and the tungsten needles aren't kind to records.

Hi there,
I thought that this 101 clip was for tungstyle needles ?
Attachments
had.jpg
had.jpg (201.42 KiB) Viewed 924 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Both are Tungstyle clips. The recessed type is the earlier and the surface mounted type is the later.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:Both are Tungstyle clips. The recessed type is the earlier and the surface mounted type is the later.

A most interesting clarification epigramophone.