EMG Soundbox

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

EMG Soundbox

Post by poodling around »

I haven't seen one of these before and guess that they are quite rare and well thought of.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gramophone-E ... SwVblchqQB
Attachments
gmil.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: EMG Soundbox

Post by epigramophone »

Judging by the starting price, the seller has no idea what this rare soundbox is worth. He is in for a pleasant surprise once the EMG collectors spot it.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Please excuse my ignorance, but could anyone please explain what is so special about this soundbox - except the three letters EMG of course. From the two pictures in the posting it does not look much different from many other mica soundboxes of the period.

Thanks
Andreas

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

EMG and Expert soundboxes were designed, developed, assembed and individually tuned by E.M.Ginn's brother-in-law David Phillips. Such was EMG's pursuit of perfection that they advised owners to return their soundboxes twice a year for re-tuning, when any subsequent improvements in design would also be incorporated as part of the service.

This particular soundbox is quite an early one, of which few examples survive.

poodling around
Victor V

It would be really interesting to know how the seller 'came by' this.

Where it was from / a bit about it's whereabouts history etc.

Has it been sitting in a kitchen drawer for the last few decades amongst a few knives, forks and spoons ?

Maybe someone who is on ebay could ask ..............

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Why would one need to ask? The same seller lists a little HMV Model 156 saxophone horn machine for sale. Whilst the machine is designed ribed as being fitted with a correct HMV No. 4 sound box, one of the photographs shows this early EMG unit on the tone arm of the 156. I'm sure that the seller will be gratified at the price that this early EMG unit brings, I sound that he will be surprised.

poodling around
Victor V

Uncle Vanya wrote:Why would one need to ask? The same seller lists a little HMV Model 156 saxophone horn machine for sale. Whilst the machine is designed ribed as being fitted with a correct HMV No. 4 sound box, one of the photographs shows this early EMG unit on the tone arm of the 156. I'm sure that the seller will be gratified at the price that this early EMG unit brings, I sound that he will be surprised.
Ah, well spotted, so that may well be where it came from..

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

alang wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, but could anyone please explain what is so special about this soundbox - except the three letters EMG of course. From the two pictures in the posting it does not look much different from many other mica soundboxes of the period.

Thanks
Andreas
The main important difference has to do with the way in which the stylus arm and platform is free to pivot on knife edges stabilised by two sharply pointed springs. This system allows maximum compliance and a variety of tuning adjustments. The Meltrope type attachment to the tonearm is also beneficial for a number of reasons.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Were these early EMG sound boxes built up using some Exhibition parts?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

As far as I am aware, EMG made all the parts themselves, but their early soundboxes were based upon the Exhibition design.
Among the improvements which EMG made were the adoption of the aluminium diaphragm and the Meltrope back, with it's soft rubber coupling and compression ring.