One of Franks O phones?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
vansteem78
Victor II

One of Franks O phones?

Post by vansteem78 »

Dealers plaque says Vienna Austria (S. Hollander) and found an ad from the dealer in German I think. So is this one of Franks phonos? The sound box says Odeon. The brake is German I've been told. Sounds good and I liked the looks so I bought it a couple years ago now. What are your thoughts? Neil
Attachments
odeon10.JPG
odeon hollander ad.jpg
odeon hollander ad.jpg (46.39 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
odeon1.JPG
odeon.JPG
odeon6.JPG
odeon2.JPG
odeon brake.jpg
odeon brake.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
odeon too 1.jpg
odeon too 1.jpg (45.11 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: One of Franks O phones?

Post by epigramophone »

The quality of the case, in Burr Walnut with elaborate stringing and cross banded veneers, is superb. A very good find indeed.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Epigramophone is right, it is a fine case. I was a bit suspicious at first as front-wind is unusual but I can't see any evidence of a changed motor. I do find the dealers plate rather detracting to the machines appearance though, the way it is mounted. I wonder if the 5 figure telephone number doesn't suggest the plaque is later than the machine. Perhaps it was sold second-hand by this dealer or added more lately?

Jamie

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Thanks you two for your thoughts. I had never seen a front wind except in photos of an older VV 50 and one or two others. What the heck I never saw or heard of that sort of design either. So it struck my fancy. I only had to have the brake fixed once. Nothing else. Ron L'Herault in Massachusetts fixed it in one day. I was and am very happy. Thanks again. Neil

Accursius
Victor Jr

Post by Accursius »

I wonder if the 5 figure telephone number doesn't suggest the plaque is later than the machine. Perhaps it was sold second-hand by this dealer or added more lately?
The ugly plaque advertises for "Plattenumtausch ab 20 Heller aufwärts" (i.e. the dealer would buy used records for at least 20 Heller each). The currency unit "Heller" (1/100 Austrian Crown, equivalent to a Cent) was formally withdrawn in 1925, but valueless since 1918 due to post-war Inflation. The plaque is most likely pre-1914, so it cannot be much more recent than the machine itself.

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

Accursius wrote:
I wonder if the 5 figure telephone number doesn't suggest the plaque is later than the machine. Perhaps it was sold second-hand by this dealer or added more lately?
The ugly plaque advertises for "Plattenumtausch ab 20 Heller aufwärts" (i.e. the dealer would buy used records for at least 20 Heller each). The currency unit "Heller" (1/100 Austrian Crown, equivalent to a Cent) was formally withdrawn in 1925, but valueless since 1918 due to post-war Inflation. The plaque is most likely pre-1914, so it cannot be much more recent than the machine itself.
Thanks for this information. Very interesting indeed. Neil